71 rusty westy. Boston for parts only. Prob freebie

Post locations of Air-Cooled VW's that need to be saved from destruction. Post pics if possible.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Kregol
I'm New!

71 rusty westy. Boston for parts only. Prob freebie

Post by Kregol » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:41 pm

1971 rusty through and through. Random guy I met has one thats been sitting in his front yard since 85. Not savable as a whole, but still some good metal, panels and parts inside.

Undercarriage almost completely rotted out.
Lots of homebrew mods.
Engine +/- complete... #3 piston sitting on front seat.
Raccoon lives underneath somewhere… :o

He’s been great about me picking off it, “’Cause it’s going to the crusher eventually. Not soon, but eventually.” Probably a freebie mid summer if anyone is interested.

I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up. This bus will never see the road again. You’d understand if you saw the rockers.

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:06 pm

if you could grab me the vent tube from the sink to the roof and the roof cap, i would greatly appreciate it!!!
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Kregol
I'm New!

Post by Kregol » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:02 pm

vdubzen wrote:if you could grab me the vent tube from the sink to the roof and the roof cap, i would greatly appreciate it!!!
I'll probably be going back sometime around March 15. I guess i could pick a few things for folks for at shipping cost (depending on the part). I'd much rather it go wholesale to someone as is, as it would be more desirable and more parts would make it into circulation before it got crushed, but what the hell.

I'm assuming the heater is total hackery?

Other than the interior parts I took (hello 1/2 OG curtain set!), it's nearly complete. Still has front seats, rusty as s**t overriders with bumpers, dash with everything (minus Sapphire radio), T1 engine, Original 71 continental spare (inflated).

Anyone want to pony up and take it as a whole before I pull more?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:24 am

Kregol wrote: I'm assuming the heater is total hackery?
T1 engine, Original 71 continental spare (inflated).
That car is actually a gem of originality. Toasted originality, but it has the famous I.O. and M157 original paint on the fan shroud, it has the original throttle positioner and mounted where it goes for BA4 heater installation. The fan hoses are splendid, the rubber gaskets underneath are there, the reverse fuse holder is perfectly installed, you might even have the heat riser plates that insulate the tin. Does it have an air cleaner? Generator pulley could be worth something since the new crap is such crap. What sort of sliding door hardware do you have there? You might have some gloriously fresh parts caked under protective grease. Wiggle the steering wheel. If it does not go clonkaclonka, you might have a rare good oem steering box. That's the thing about the Northeast, it can kill cars before they are worn out.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:32 am

I'd be interested in it complete as it sits. As everyone knows I can certainly get thosse parts back into circulation and into the hands of needy Bus owners the world over. How about some more information? Boston's only about 4 hours eaach way.....how soon would the owner like it out of there?

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:29 am

Vdubtech wrote:I'd be interested in it complete as it sits. As everyone knows I can certainly get thosse parts back into circulation and into the hands of needy Bus owners the world over. How about some more information? Boston's only about 4 hours eaach way.....how soon would the owner like it out of there?
save the bay!!!

and if you decide to part it, i would like the vent parts for the sink, =)
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 am

I'll take the yellow vinyl jump seat material and the cover for the storage space behind the driver. I'll pay shipping and you can add a small handling charge if you like.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 am

Arrggg, that be a pre-71 says I. It be having wide five, arrgghh. I be wanting that engine, but too far from me, arrgg.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Kregol
I'm New!

Post by Kregol » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Vdubtech wrote:I'd be interested in it complete as it sits. As everyone knows I can certainly get those parts back into circulation and into the hands of needy Bus owners the world over. How about some more information? Boston's only about 4 hours each way.....how soon would the owner like it out of there?
I’m going back sometime mid march. I want to pick a few more small interior/exterior parts before it goes down the road. Guy doesn’t seem like he’s really in a hurry to crush it, but he's not a "Fix it someday" type either. The story goes he got in a head-on with someone and then he just kept it parked since 85 so his neighbors don’t take his spot, which is his only present impetus for keeping it.

I think he’d be totally receptive to someone taking it off his hands and putting it back to good use. I’m a little worried he sent it away this winter, but I’ll check in with him soon and let him know someone is interested. I get the feeling he’d let it go for free (or nearly free at the worst). PM you when I talk with him next month?

Colin is right. This thing was WAY crazy to see the first time in person. I just sat inside and looked around until I saw some random part that I didn’t have in my van and then just went to town. Stuff I didn’t even know I needeed.

p.s. It’s crazy close to downtown…( :shock:… I think the ivy is acting as natural camo..

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 pm

Sounds good man, just drop me a pm when you speak with him...Spring is a far better time for Bus rescuin anyway. :-)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:25 am

Kregol wrote:This thing was WAY crazy to see the first time in person. I just sat inside and looked around until I saw some random part that I didn’t have in my van and then just went to town. It’s crazy close to downtown…( :shock:… I think the ivy is acting as natural camo..
Note how the reflector on the front door is still orange. Can't get new crap that keeps its color. If I had the Road Warrior still . . . . . I was looking for an oem left reflector . . . damn.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Kregol
I'm New!

Post by Kregol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Contact info passed on. Happy hunting