WTB: Bay or Vanagon Westy

Buy & Sell all your Air-Cooled vehicles here! VW, Porsche, etc...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

cek347
I'm New!

WTB: Bay or Vanagon Westy

Post by cek347 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Yep, back at it again. Fixed up a '97 4runner, sold it so I can get back into a westfalia! Miss my '91 Westy.... why did I NEED to sell it in '09.... :argue:

Hi folks, had 2 Bays, and a Vanagon over the years. I last had 2 project beetles that I was slowly working. I just sold off my last beetle in early restoration stage and would like to get back to #1 choice a Bay Westy, #2 Vanagon Westy. I see the Classifieds are not that active here but I thought this is a good community of people so maybe somebody has something or knows of someone looking to sell. I have WTB's on the usual sites but I thought it couldn't hurt to put one up here. I'm looking for a running/driving project, with a price range ~$5k and under. Must be manual, must be a pop top. I need to get my 2 kids camping this summer (7 yr old and 3yr old).

I can't have Colin just come to my house and stare at an empty garage! :cyclopsani:

I'm a bit outside of Phila, PA in the suburbs, 19446. I'm willing to use shipping but probably not all the way from the west coast, that would break my budget.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k
01 Golf Tdi 267k RIP 2/4/15
WTB: Bay West or Vanagon Westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: WTB: Bay or Vanagon Westy

Post by hambone » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:06 pm

There are a LOT of Vanagons on the West Coast, you may consider looking out here, it may turn out cheaper in the long run.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Even in LA where there is a severe lack of old metal, Vanagons are prevalent.

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:51 am

In contact with someone that has an '89 Westy project. A bit of distance between the van and I so I'll have to work that out if I go forward with it. No rush for them to sell or me to buy so I'm still hoping for a Bay but they are hard to come by! I've had both so I know pros/cons. I prefer the feel of the air cooled, manual steering wheel in my hand.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 pm

if you want the aircooled motor and a poptop and probably the last decent 'deal' to be had for VW campers - look for an Aircooled Vanagon Westy.

they are kinda the redheaded stepchild in the VW scene, but I really like them a lot. Great suspension, still simple aircooled technology, and the extra width of the beds is nice to. in your price range you might get a lot more for your money by going that route.

personally id blow the budget on the best body you can find on any coast, and then take your time to restore the mechanicals. but if you want to be on the road sooner than later, a runner with little needs all around would be a good place to start to.

Maybe something like this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1603499

or if you bump up your budget a hair and negotiate down a bit, this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1598760
1979 California Transporter

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I agree with Airkooledchris about finding the non-wasserboxer version for you if you are a "bug guy"

this one on the west coast of florida is so cheap I would recommend having one of us help you arrange
the purchase and transport. Heck! at 600 bucks I would grab a cheap flight here and camp in it till all
the arrangements are made!

Also there is a really good VW shop (old style 2 bay with no lifts) in Sarasota called
the Sunshine Auto Garage, that only works on VW's who might allow you to store it
there till you catch a flight here if you mention me....

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/4331847474.html

good hunting!
-jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:12 am

I am definitely not opposed to an air cooled Vanagon. I'm keeping my eyes wide open. I'm cooling my jets on the '89 for now. It's unavailable to be picked up for a few weeks anyway. If nothing pops up I may just wait a bit, sell my jeep (second car), and see if I can afford more. My little guy is only 15 months, it'll be a bear getting him to sleep in the van this summer anyway. Not giving up all hope. Its only been a few weeks of searching.

What got me going was seeing a nice project local for $4500. Sold before I was able to see it.

Here is my old '74 I sold for $3500 in 2004.

15 Jetta Tdi 23k

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 pm

weisswurst wrote:I agree with Airkooledchris about finding the non-wasserboxer version for you if you are a "bug guy"

this one on the west coast of florida is so cheap I would recommend having one of us help you arrange
the purchase and transport. Heck! at 600 bucks I would grab a cheap flight here and camp in it till all
the arrangements are made!

Also there is a really good VW shop (old style 2 bay with no lifts) in Sarasota called
the Sunshine Auto Garage, that only works on VW's who might allow you to store it
there till you catch a flight here if you mention me....

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/4331847474.html

good hunting!
-jeff

I'm going to fire off an email to make contact and get a little info. on it. Nothing is impossible right?
15 Jetta Tdi 23k

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm going from North Fl to South Fl with
the family on sunday afternoon if you would
like to arrange a photo session with the seller
and me.
Cheers! -Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:08 pm

cek347 wrote:I am definitely not opposed to an air cooled Vanagon. I'm keeping my eyes wide open. I'm cooling my jets on the '89 for now. It's unavailable to be picked up for a few weeks anyway. If nothing pops up I may just wait a bit, sell my jeep (second car), and see if I can afford more. My little guy is only 15 months, it'll be a bear getting him to sleep in the van this summer anyway. Not giving up all hope. Its only been a few weeks of searching.

What got me going was seeing a nice project local for $4500. Sold before I was able to see it.

Here is my old '74 I sold for $3500 in 2004.

that right there is the pisser about it to. that 74 you sold in 2004, in the exact same shape today (just from looking at the pics) has likely more than doubled in price - if not moreso.

having all the time in the world to wait for the right project - can definitely get you a good deal if you stay on top of it.
1979 California Transporter

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:57 am

Not a Westy, but I just saw a post for a '74 high-top for sale in Issaquah, WA (near Seattle), posted in the PNW Dub Folks group on Facebook.
Ad Text: wrote:Liberty Cone
Need this gone by Sunday
1974 Vw camper bus

$1200

Runs and drives , brakes work great
He's trying to find the paper work
It's clear but the guy I bought it from can't find it .. It comes with a bill of sale and I'll give you his info .

I just wanted to save it from the wrecker

I bought it not running and had a missing side window for a few years .

I cleaned it up , installed a new one piece window and seal

got it running with a little bit of work

Still needs new plugs and exhaust badly
I installed all new fuel lines

drained fuel tank and added a half tank of high octane fuel

You could drive it home but the tabs are bad

It's been sitting a few years but motor has plenty of power ..

It's totally complete and comes with a box of parts

I already have a other highroof , I need this one gone by this weekend or I'm stripping it and using the parts for mine ..

Call or text
206-437-4273
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks, Looks like it would be an interesting project but I definitely want a pop top. I found these two below. I hate the idea of sight unseen. I got bit by it once and there is a certain level of trust you need to have. My trust was broken by a worthless paint job and a car that was supposed to run like a top (if by top he meant 2 of 4 cylinders).

I just put out feelers to see if they where willing to work with shipping. The first one is an Air Cooled Vanagon, switched to carb...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1602380

Second one needs new clutch, heater blower, clutch master cylinder... and who knows what else.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1595354

The $650 FL craigslist one must have sold, never heard back. The NY $3500 Vanagon turned out to be rusted pretty good. He sent more pictures.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Still looking? This looks like a good deal ... close enough you could tow it home ...

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4368916494.html
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:35 am

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:43 am

Then there's this one. Looks much better but engine, "runs poorly". Air cooled. Make an offer; if you get it, you and Colin can deal with the poorly.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4386568996.html