Breakfast at the Tin Shed at 11am Saturday (4/23)

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

misszora
IAC Addict!

Breakfast at the Tin Shed at 11am Saturday (4/23)

Post by misszora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 am

Hello everyone!

I need a few sets of strong hands to help me move my newly acquired engine from Miss Zora's belly to the backyard tomorrow morning, Saturday April 23rd. I'm setting up shop behind the house away from the yard but to get it there the engine has to travel over gravel. I am getting an engine stand and lift from Marc but moving it is going to require some strength. If anyone can help at all it would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with a scrumptious breakfast/brunch at the Tin Shed at 11am. Any yard cart of some sort might be helpful...I have a small cracked garage cart (4 wheels, carpeted, etc.) and a car jack with wheels but it's not going to go through gravel. I do have some plywood we could use for a path.

Thank you and please let me know as soon as possible. :bounce:
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

misszora
IAC Addict!

Re: Breakfast at the Tin Shed at 11am Saturday (4/23)

Post by misszora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:42 am

Has anyone had any problems leaving their engines outside? I can always leave it on the stand covered up when I'm not working on it, maybe chain the stand to the fence? I WISH I HAD A GARAGE!!!
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:11 pm

I have a full day of Easter type events happening Sat so I'm out.

How long do you plan on taking to do the work. How deep are you going? Crack the case? Machine work?

I would be very cautious with leaving an engine, that you intend to use, outside in this climate. Even ambient moisture can encourage the dreaded rust monster to grab ahold of rustable parts if you have open ports to the guts. Leave plugs in and cover openings (case vent, valve covers, intake ports). Work fast and seal it up every night if you must have it outside. Get some WD 40 and use it on the rustable parts as needed.

When you make your cover make sure you are not making a "sun sauna" that may make more humidity than the protection from the rain you are shooting for. If it is on a stand, big lawn and garden bags wrapped over and sealed up should keep ambient and ground moisture from being an issue.

2cents
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:56 pm

If Hal has the distributor on hand, I am going to swap this engine with MZ's. I want to clean the new engine first and it will be on the north side of the house, out of direct sun. Although I'd still like to drop the current one and do a little inspection to see if the issue is minor. I'm waiting for Bob's schedule to clear up on that.

My time spent on the newly acquired engine is going to be relative to the money I make which right now is next to nothing. Cleaning the gunk off the engine is free!

I guess I'm also looking for a place to keep it and work on it for the next couple of months. I'm not sure what else to do.

I've got a couple of options here - inspect MZ's engine, diagnose and fix which may require opening her up all the way, machine work more than likely, new parts, etc.
Or just swap engines after I clean up the one from the pick-n-pull and find a place to dismantle and rebuild MZ's original engine.
Gypsie wrote:I have a full day of Easter type events happening Sat so I'm out.

How long do you plan on taking to do the work. How deep are you going? Crack the case? Machine work?

I would be very cautious with leaving an engine, that you intend to use, outside in this climate. Even ambient moisture can encourage the dreaded rust monster to grab ahold of rustable parts if you have open ports to the guts. Leave plugs in and cover openings (case vent, valve covers, intake ports). Work fast and seal it up every night if you must have it outside. Get some WD 40 and use it on the rustable parts as needed.

When you make your cover make sure you are not making a "sun sauna" that may make more humidity than the protection from the rain you are shooting for. If it is on a stand, big lawn and garden bags wrapped over and sealed up should keep ambient and ground moisture from being an issue.

2cents
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Oil cooler seals? Main seal? Get the easy leaky stuff fixed while the engine is out. New clutch disk too.
Wouldn't hurt to check the endplay too.
Can you get the engine in your house? Colin built an engine on a dining room table, I built one on a wrecked antique dresser in a Chicago basement, and 100 other such stories. And yes, you have the Wilson book?
Ol' Gypsie is right - do not leave an unsealed engine (where water can get in or even dampness) out in this soup, it will rust and freeze up. The Beetle in my garage had that happen, ruined the engine,tight as a drum. 100 other such stories.
Tomorrow the $@#%)#% Easter "Bunny" will be ******* the spring applesauce, so I will be unfortunately detained.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 pm

I could set it up in the basement but it's the same dealio...it's gotta get down there. :-)
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm guessing the indoor engines weren't 2.0L? I can't imagine one of those fitting through the door!
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 pm

You may have to do some disassembly before taking it inside. From the sound of it though the engine you got may be in good shape and just needs some swap over of parts and installation. Just have to think on how much risk you want to take with the energy it will take to do that particular deed. Then you can take your time with a rebuild in the basement.

Do you have an opinion about the condition of the engine you got from the upull? How long did it sit outside? Will it turn? Have you pulled the heads and checked valves? Start pullin' some stuff off where it sits.

Definitely some risk either way you go. I like the quick swap over idea though. decide it then do it....ez Like pie...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:39 am

Well, if I can't get help moving it today, it's coming with me to Hambone Manor. Maybe a few of you gents can take a peek and throw out an opinion or two...related to the engine, that is. ;-) I was thinking the same about the fact that it sat on the ground for months but I'm digging the swap out idea the most. Did you find that the distributor has all its pieces, Hal? If not, I did find one from an 82 2.0L Vanagon in Seattle for $60 with shipping.

Thanks again everyone.
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Still need to check, that cold I came down with earlier this week really kicked my ass. I'll look here in a bit.

I'm *better* but still not great or over it by any stretch...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Yeah you weren't yourself yesterday. Hope you get there soon!
Hey do you still need that red Hammerite? Haven't had a chance.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:26 pm

got the red hammerite, thanks though.

$10 a can for that stuff, sweet jeebus!
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey Gypsie! What was the name of the stuff you told me to add to my gasoline?
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug