6th Annual Deschutes River RendezVW - Maupin Oregon

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Re: 6th Annual Deschutes River RendezVW - Maupin Oregon

Post by IFBwax » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Great times, great people, great buses, great fun! But best of all, thanks to Mark for making this all possible. Home, tired, but not so much that I can't have a shot of vanilla cognac and a big glass of water. Off to tuck the girlies to bed. Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Tami and the boys and I made it home safely. We only had two(2) breakdowns. One bad positive battery cable at the gas station on the edge of Maupin and a shredded alternator belt later(I wondered where that 10mm wrench went). I'll show the poor deformed thing Monday at The Lab.

Great time and looking forward to next year.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:57 am

I'm glad to see there were at least a couple of Neptune Blue Riviera's representin'. Sorry we missed it, but we'll be there next year fer sher!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:14 pm

It was great to see everyone again! I've been away from this list for too long, but that trip restored my confidence and passion for that old bus. We made the decision to take 84 through the gorge back home, instead of 26 over the pass, and were just about blown completely across to Washington. I don't think I'll be taking that route again any time soon.... :shaking2:
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:46 pm

We did too John. I had a few beers on Sunday so Michele started out driving and got almost to I-84 when she had enough. I was perfect by then so I took over and it was pretty windy alright. Not a boring drive though.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:48 pm

IFBwax wrote:Great times, great people, great buses, great fun! But best of all, thanks to Mark for making this all possible. Home, tired, but not so much that I can't have a shot of vanilla cognac and a big glass of water. Off to tuck the girlies to bed. Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!
Oh by the way, it turns out I was too tired. Fell asleep without touching either.

Frank Bama

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Great pics. Really wish I could have made it. :pale:
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Fun weekend! So very nice to see old friends and meet new ones. These get togethers are deep therapy for my soul.

In no particular order:

Keep it acoustic.

pjalau
Getting Hooked!

Post by pjalau » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm

I am in Portland for the night after a short drive to Seattle and back on Sunday/Monday.

Awesome trip this year, wonderful to see the crowd again.

Why did I wait three years to return?

Should be back in S.F. on Wednesday evening, will post pics then.

-p

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 pm

So awesome to meet you!
You should've come to the Lucky Lab tonight!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 pm

made it back home about 3 hours ago....

our solenoid went out about half way there, but was easily worked around with a little whack on the side.
then on the way back, we developed a very concerning 'clunk' sound over bumps and found one of the passenger caliper bolts working itself loose - but otherwise it was a trouble free affair getting there and back. averaged around 15mpg and 60MPH. the drive home was much easier since it was downhill nearly the entire trip back! oil temps hovered around 240-260 most of the time, head temps in the 380's.

parking on a hill helped avoid the starting issues:

everyone made great new friends...

beer was drank....

everyone was fed...

and there were busses and vans everywhere..

everyone seemed very relaxed..

needless to say I had a blast. it was really cool to put some faces with the (screen) names...

I certainly didn't get to meet everyone that was there from the IAC, but everyone I did was a true pleasure.
thank you for making me and my family feel so welcome, we can't wait for the next adventure.
1979 California Transporter

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:02 am

IFBwax wrote:We did too John. I had a few beers on Sunday so Michele started out driving and got almost to I-84 when she had enough. I was perfect by then so I took over and it was pretty windy alright. Not a boring drive though.
We followed Michele and Wayne out to Portland via I84 and it was WINDY! I thought Michele was the one who had been drinking as she was all over the road.....

Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am

Nice to see Wayne and Michele, Jason, Gypsie, and the rest I can't name right now and lots of new buses at Maupin and it was good to be back after missing last year. Mark did a great job again of putting on the event and deserves a "attaboy" for it.
I finally had some downtime as after the Beer tasting I had a great nap. Guess drinking a bunch of strong beer on a empty stomach will do that.
Bus ran good the whole time, got 18 mpg on the trip back to Seattle, temps were 355CHT's, 220 F oil and that was going 65-70mph on I-5...The steering is soo much better now with the new center pin repair done...The ice box worked great keeping the beer cold better than it usually does for some reason.....dunno why thou...
The bad news is the new oil seal is leaking again after not leaking and so the motor will come out again next week. Something is going on and I'll have time to analyze it better then...Hmm, maybe a plug is leaking. We did smell gas most of the trip so I'll replace the filler hose with one I scored from Wayne (thanks!) to solve that minor problem as I can only listen to Monique commenting every 10 minutes "Do you smell gas? Should you check it out again?" for so long. I checked the fuel lines in and under the engine four times just to be sure it wasn't a cracked pressurized fuel line to "Keep the peace".
I'll put the 70 alt back in too at this time as its been rebuilt and is all shiny.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:43 pm

That was a blast!

Fantastic to see everyone and then some, the usuals, the newsuals, the casual times amongst fantastic folks, the brews, the impromptus, some other things, the stories, the busses, the busses, the drive, great weather, the busses.

Thanks once again Mark, for all the work putting together this event.

We dawdled long and finally headed over the pass to the cloudy side of Mt Hood and the mossy sandy mushroom utopia (especially in a drizzly misty fall) of Old Maid Flats and kicked back a bit more, getting back to town just a few hours ago.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:51 am

For the sake of redundancy, here must be vid of RendezVW number two, posted days before RenezVW number three.

http://blip.tv/ruckman101/maupin-minded-992262

So, no wonder I would post vid from number five days before number six. It got lost in the frenzy, so beat you over the head with a stick, a link.

http://blip.tv/ruckman101/deschutes-riv ... us-5280625

neal
The slipper has no teeth.