IAC Clackamas River Oregon Campout Nov 17-19 2006

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:29 pm

static wrote:Photos will be nice, but a written re-cap by one of the PNW Weenies would be even nicer. :)
Why use words when you can watch video? :tongue: Oh, and what was that about us PNW weenies not camping? Something about by the time we chose a spot you guys would already be camping? Something like that?

When are you guys going again? :blackeye:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/555665483XXFxsK

It was a great weekend guys. Just enough to recharge the batteries for a couple more weeks of working under fluorescent lights. :pukeleft:

The quality of the videos are crap due to webshots running them in a larger pixel size. Know any place besides YouTube that will host videos?
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:52 pm

I'm uploading the videos to google. They play in original size there. Much more clear. It's going to take awhile though. Stupid slow upload speeds.

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Excellent video and photos! Thanks for doing that. Almost like being there.

Also, nice to see that an early Bay led the way (as it should be) =D>

Damn, the Northern California Weenies are not camping until this Friday.

(Yes, I would like some ketchup when I eat crow.)

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Hambone's 69' 1600 SP is a bad Mo Fo, that bus is as healthy and well cared for as they get. My automatic puts me into the land of power curve purgatory when the speeds hover around 40 to 50 mph, Jasan smoked us both on the long uphill pulls.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:33 pm

Great Pics! Thanks for posting! Looks like you had an awesome time.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:47 pm

Awesome videos Jasan, it made me laugh when you could see the camera dip a little when you had to go to shift. =D>

Ahhh yes, Pickles and Bacon.

Here is my first try at a file sharing site...

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/1978Riviera/

Any tips?? Or is it really that easy? :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:59 pm

spiffy wrote:Awesome videos Jasan, it made me laugh when you could see the camera dip a little when you had to go to shift. =D>
Thanks man. If you listen real careful you can pick out the tricky one handed double clutch a few times. :compress:

Good shots Mike. I love seeing the different perspective that each of us have on the same occasion.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:30 pm

I'm jealous :geek:

Looks like you guys had a great time there. We live way too damn far from there. I think.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 am

I'll write up somethin after I wake up.....

[albumimg]281[/albumimg]
[albumimg]282[/albumimg]
[albumimg]283[/albumimg]
[albumimg]284[/albumimg]
[albumimg]285[/albumimg]
[albumimg]286[/albumimg]
[albumimg]287[/albumimg]
[albumimg]288[/albumimg]
[albumimg]289[/albumimg]
[albumimg]290[/albumimg]
[albumimg]296[/albumimg]
[albumimg]291[/albumimg]
[albumimg]292[/albumimg]
[albumimg]293[/albumimg]
[albumimg]294[/albumimg]
[albumimg]295[/albumimg]
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 pm

No need for an alarm clock these days, if it's not Eva screamin for "juice Papa! Need more juice!" at 6am, it's the call of High Adventure. I had most things already packed the night before but it's always the zillion details that drive me crazy. Hmmm the weather report is lookin pretty good, sunshine for at least 2 days.
So I gassed up, got some overpriced yupster groceries and headed south down I205 for the packed lots of Clackamas Town Center. I would have liked to see the area before it bacame...that thing...but I digress. Spiffy's bus was unmistakable, shining blue and bedecked with hippiedom.it stood out like a beacon in that sea of SUVs and cookie cutter crap. I was a bit hesitant to go on such a journey with folks I barely knew, but the time was ripe so I barely gave it a second thought. Spiffy hopped out of his bus with a big smile, and I knew everything would be ok. We talked a bit, waiting for Jasan. It was weird to be in such a crowded and altered place, knowing the wilderness that awaited an hour down the road.
Jasan pulled in (I actually heard his bus before I saw it), and we all hit the interstate for greener places. Traffic was thick with trucks and other travellers that sunny and foggy morning, especially after the exit at OR224. But after clearing the human created madness we call an Industrial Park, we were soon snaking along the misty Clackamas River, with all the cares of the industrial world soon slipping behind us as the miles ticked by. The bus was running well, even loaded with camp gear. It was as if it was a kin to Jasan's happy little dog, eager to get out into the woods. I enjoyed hearing that smooth 1600 chugging along back there. Getting closer to the logging town of Estacada, the clouds became thicker, and I noticed snow up on the high mountain ridges. We were heading pretty far into the Cascades, and I hoped that the roads would be clear all the way to our destination, the SE border of Bull of the Woods Wilderness - really just an arbitrary border, as we drove thru the many miles of ancient forest bracketed by clearcuts and fog.
A couple of places along the forest service roads had small rockslides, but it didn't prevent a careful navigation. Further along, a large tree blocked most of the road, but a careful negotiation at a 45 deg. angle was possible. I worried a bit watching the others navigate the tree in my mirror, praying they wouldn't tip over....but all was well and we continued along, avoiding water filled potholes and rough patches along the way.
I haven't been down that way in a year, and the road had gotten worse since then, but began to recognize familiar landmarks and knew we'd soon arrive at our 2-day home. I was disturbed to find a huge pool of water blocking the access road, so we all hopped out to take a look. We all agreed that by hugging the edge close to forest we'd be ok. We decided on a nice flat spot with a fire ring, surrounded by towering curved whitebarked alders and younger redcedars, and ancient trees following a steep slope down to Elk Lake Creek, loudly roaring in the forested canyon below.
Camp was set up, and there we were! 3 goons in our respective buses, getting to know each other. The winter sun drops quickly in these dark mountain valleys, so our first order of business was to collect firewood. (I think the first order of business was really to drink a beer) Athough throughly saturated, downed wood was plentiful and slimy. We amassed a mighty pile of redcedar and alder, and hunkered down for the clammy night that was approaching. With a full supply of wood, plenty of festive holiday beer, Budweiser (hey how'd that get in there?? SPIFFY!), and delightful vanilla conac (supplied by Jasan, drank by me), the evening passed quickly and I was soon snug in my refrigerated bus. "It would be an ideal temperature for a florist freezer" I thought as I slipped away to sleep.
Morning arrived, and I grumpily stumbled out of the toasty bag for Nature's Call. Clammy! Misty! Bah. Gimme coffee. Spiffy popped out of nowhere with a friendly smile, offering me hot water for my coffee. Mmmmm camp-nectar just what the doctor ordered. Breakfast was gormet and a group event: hashbrowns, eggs n veggies, bagels n cream cheese. We knew we'd be hiking all day, and needed all the rib-stickin' energy that a carb-heavy bowl of density can provide.
The day was spent happily following an historic trail that follows Elk Lake Creek deep into Bull of the Woods. It formerly went to a guard station at Elk Lake, about 9 miles down the trail, but we were taking it slow and soaking in the misty sunshine and shaggy firs, bedecked with fluffy lichens and mosses. After a couple miles, the day was getting short, so it was time to head back to camp. Jasan's doggie probably walked 10 miles, running back and forth the entire day like a gleeful maniac. She was happy to be there, free and fresh.
A family of Sasquatches was waiting for us upon our return. They were drinking a couple of my beers, so I was a little pissed, but they seemed friendly enough, and at about 9' tall, I wasn't in a position to cause any negativity. As the sun set, they silently shuffled off into the woods. I was sorry to see them go, but wouldn't miss their musky scent, smelling like an elk in heat and wet mushrooms.
We created another massive woodpile, primarily cedar, which happily crackled thru the night and filled the air with it's sweet cleansing smoke. Another pleasant night of conversation, and another sleepy crawl into bed.
I was awakened by loud drops of water on the metal roof; I silently hoped we'd be able to get out of there and the road would still be there. The dim gray light soon filled the forest, but the rain didn't let up. We sadly began to take down camp, getting soggy and muddy in our transformed camp site. Soon we said our goodbyes to our friend the forest, and headed off into the rainclouds like a jet at takeoff. Time to go home. The roads were kind, traffic was heavy back amongst humans, a hot shower felt good; but as kooky as it sounds, I'd rather be sitting out there under the alders in the rain, listening to the rush of Elk Lake Creek. How many days until springtime and the big thaws? Gonna be a long winter....

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:57 pm

Thanks for the updates - If I close my eyes I can almost imagine sitting there in a forest surrounded by nothing but the best nature has to offer. Winter is setting in here in Illinois - but winter also brings some opportunities. like skiing and winter hiking. I love going out to the woods in winter because it keeps most people indoors. Sounds like you all had a good time. With two kids under the age of 3 now, camping is on the back burner for time being, but I look forward to future trips.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:08 pm

Illinois is beautiful! I've spent many a weekend camping in Galena, love it out there. Check out "Wooded Wonderland" off US20 and Devils Ladder Road, as close as you'll come to wildlands in the Midwest.
And, my littlest one camped for the first time at 3 months, so don't let that stop ya. :flower:

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:53 pm

I started looking at recap pictures and was bummed I couldn't go. I love them close ups.

I looked at more pictures from another perspective, some video and swore to myself that I will not miss the next one. Playing with fire... watching empty beer bottles line up.... Yakkin with Dubfellas! Too good to miss many of them gatherings

Then I read Hambone's Narrative. My breath caught in my throat. (I could have swore that a dew drop hit me on the cheek while I was reading.) I am weeping openly now. Looked Like it was a beyooteeeful trip.

Glad to hear there was no drama or damage.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....