Austin-Maupin Road Trip Gearing Up!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun May 31, 2009 9:28 pm

Had to revise our trip route, but doing so dropped off a couple hundred miles. SCORE!

The "New and Improved" Itinerant Water-Cooled Trek:

Day 1 - Saturday, June 13, 2009 - Austin, TX to Clovis, NM: 471.40 miles, 7hrs. 49mins.

Day 2 to 4 - Sunday, June 14 – Tuesday, June 16. 2009 – Clovis, NM to Ojo Sarco, NM: 258.90 miles, 4hrs., 34 mins.

Day 4 -Tuesday, June 16. 2009 – Ojo Sarco, NM to Green River, UT: 421.68 miles, 8hrs. 2mins.

Day 5 -Wednesday, June 17, 2009 – Green River, UT to Boise, ID: 524 miles, 7hrs. 52 mins.

Day 6 - Thursday, June 18, 2009 – Boise, ID to Portland, OR – 434.25 miles, 6 hrs. 59 mins.

Estimated Driving Time, Austin, TX to Portland, OR: 35 hours 17 minutes; Total Estimated Distance: 2110.23 miles

Days 7 to 9, Friday, June 18, – Sunday, June 21, 2009, 4th Annual Deschutes River RendezVW

Days 9, Sunday, June 21 – Tuesday, Portland, OR

Day 10, Monday, June 22 - The Lucky Lab

Day 11, Tuesday, June 23, 2009 – Return flight to Austin, TX, HOME!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun May 31, 2009 9:30 pm

Westy78 wrote:I like high tech and modern for the most part.
.. and yet you opted for a stock-EFI aircooled engine for your rig, not an EJ20T like GorgeRunner. :blackeye:

I like simple and vintage, I also like high-tech and modern. I've got the TV and DVD player sitting on a circa 1948 Majestic AM/FM console radio in the living room. It's got a phono input. Once I find time to put the new tubes in that radio (so it works), I'm gonna see about hooking the DVD player's audio channel to the phono input. 'cuz I'm weird like that. :geek:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 pm

Long live analog!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:26 am

ruckman101 wrote:Long live analog!

neal
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:41 am

If it was my money (and it ain't) I'd leave the superslab at Ontario, OR and take US26 across NE OR through John Day country. You could continue west on US26 via Redmond, Madras and Mt Hood (incredible) right in to Portland. If you have time to spare, turn north on OR 19 and OR 207, then OR 74 rejoining I-84 at Heppner Junction. Then cross the Columbia to the previously-mentioned north side at Biggs Junction (where I-84 meets US 97). Then west on WA 14 on in to Portland.

East central Oregon is gorgeous, (especially in that Bimmer) quite different from Texas :bom: and the stretch of I-84 from Ontario, around the Blue Mountains pales in comparison to the rolling, verdant mountains of John Day country and the pleasures of the mixed-use lands around Heppner, Condon, Fossil. You'll already have had lots of freeway miles, besides, the freeway is like food at McDonalds: Not so much a meal as a solution to a problem.

You're probably not gonna be this way again soon, right? Might as well make the best of it. :cherry:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 am

glasseye wrote:You're probably not gonna be this way again soon, right? Might as well make the best of it. :cherry:
I'm hoping next year they can make the trip in Phred!
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:58 am

Westy78 wrote:
glasseye wrote:You're probably not gonna be this way again soon, right? Might as well make the best of it. :cherry:
I'm hoping next year they can make the trip in Phred!
Thanks for the info, Glasseye! I'll look into the route you suggested... Sounds fabulous! That last driving day for us is actually shorter than most on this trip....With travel, we just never know when we're gonna travel next...Well unless I've had a dream about it. That happened before this trip ever materialized so I'll be curious to see if I have deja vu during any of it! :colors:

Jasan, that is TOTALLY our plan next year; Drive Phred to next year's shindig. We both love to camp and will be camping fools when he's finished..It's become part of Jeffrey's motivation to get the interior done - well aside from just wanting it finished! :flower:
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

zblair
The Zster

Update just for Jasan!

Post by zblair » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 pm

2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Although I understand the agenda I loathe the agenda. :geek:

Safe travels, stop a lot.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 pm

glasseye wrote:If it was my money (and it ain't) I'd leave the superslab at Ontario, OR and take US26 across NE OR through John Day country. You could continue west on US26 via Redmond, Madras and Mt Hood (incredible) right in to Portland. If you have time to spare, turn north on OR 19 and OR 207, then OR 74 rejoining I-84 at Heppner Junction. Then cross the Columbia to the previously-mentioned north side at Biggs Junction (where I-84 meets US 97). Then west on WA 14 on in to Portland.

East central Oregon is gorgeous, (especially in that Bimmer) quite different from Texas :bom: and the stretch of I-84 from Ontario, around the Blue Mountains pales in comparison to the rolling, verdant mountains of John Day country and the pleasures of the mixed-use lands around Heppner, Condon, Fossil. You'll already have had lots of freeway miles, besides, the freeway is like food at McDonalds: Not so much a meal as a solution to a problem.

You're probably not gonna be this way again soon, right? Might as well make the best of it. :cherry:
You, my friend...know how to meander on trip....only way to fly.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 pm

spiffy wrote:Although I understand the agenda I loathe the agenda. :geek:

Will do! :salute:

We're excited that we'll get to play and on top of that meet you guys!!!!
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:49 pm

zblair wrote:
spiffy wrote:Although I understand the agenda I loathe the agenda. :geek:

Will do! :salute:

We're excited that we'll get to play and on top of that meet you guys!!!!

Ditto, we will be among the road weary.......but purposefully so. =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:21 am

Gonna be swell to meet the Blairs, and all the other people behind the text...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:42 am

glasseye wrote: East central Oregon is gorgeous, (especially in that Bimmer)
No it's NOT.
A baywindow windshield and roomy interior is superior to a BMW.
A BMW is good for "Get There". A VW bus is good for :wav: getting there.
Colincranky
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:09 am

glasseye wrote:If it was my money (and it ain't) I'd leave the superslab at Ontario, OR and take US26 across NE OR through John Day country. You could continue west on US26 via Redmond, Madras and Mt Hood (incredible) right in to Portland. If you have time to spare, turn north on OR 19 and OR 207, then OR 74 rejoining I-84 at Heppner Junction. Then cross the Columbia to the previously-mentioned north side at Biggs Junction (where I-84 meets US 97). Then west on WA 14 on in to Portland.

I like your style! And the road choice is perfect for a bus. CA89 thru Lassen NP from tahoe is another amazing ride. Never heard the interstate referred to as superslab, I dig it!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"