Austin-Maupin Road Trip Gearing Up!

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zblair
The Zster

Austin-Maupin Road Trip Gearing Up!

Post by zblair » Sat May 23, 2009 10:56 am

In the wee hours of morning on June 13th, Jeffrey and I will be driving a certain BMW (henceforth to be referred to as "Black Beauty" or "BB" for short) from Austin, Texas to it's new home in Oregon. This road trip will culminate just in time to hitch a ride with Bookwus and the busavan heading to Maupin for the wacky weekend o' fun on Friday, June 19th!

Since we will travel equipped with my laptop and our digital camera, I plan on posting updates from time to time here so that we can keep you lovely volks appraised of our escapades.

I am still in the planning stages of our trip, but right now it looks like this will be our plan of action:

June 13 - Day 1: Austin, TX to Clovis, NM

June 14 - Day 2: Clovis, NM to Ojo Sarco, NM*

June 15 - Day 3: Ojo Sarco, NM (Old friends, mud baths in Ojo Caliente!)

June 16 - Day 4: Ojo Sarco, NM to Grand Junction, CO

June 17 - Day 5: Grand Junction, CO to Twin Falls, ID

June 18 - Day 6: Twin Falls, ID to PDX!

June 19-21 - Days 7-9: Deschutes River RendezVW - Maupin OR

June 22 - Day 10: Lucky Lab

June 23rd - Day 11: Flight home to Austin, TX

If any of you are on our path of travel and want to hook up for a meal or some down time, please post here or via pm to me and I will be sure to respond to you with more details.

*There is the possibility that Ojo Sarco, NM may be changed to Woodland Park, CO, but we are awaiting confirmation on either.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Cheaters! The BMW? With A/C, leather seats, cruise control, and HORSEPOWER? Harumph!!! :geek:

I'm just jealous - have a great trip and keep us posted of your adventures! (Hopefully, another wheel bearing failure will NOT be one of them!) :cyclopsani:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Who bought the Beemer?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:32 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Who bought the Beemer?

:wave:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat May 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Westy78 wrote:

I got to ride in it. Very nice. I guess that goes without saying. Enjoy.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 pm

Wouldn't have thought about a car with that high of mileage if it were owned by anyone other than Colin. We all know how meticulous he is with his vehicles.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sat May 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Westy78 wrote:Wouldn't have thought about a car with that high of mileage if it were owned by anyone other than Colin. We all know how meticulous he is with his vehicles.
This vehicle is no exception either! He spent a week detailing for God's sake. Well you can't say the man isn't consistent about auto care and maintenance... :cyclopsani:

And Don, I will make certain I remind you of how nice the ride is...I just wish you could be at Maupin. Really! You're a nice guy worth meeting. Even if you get punny :colors:
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sat May 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Here's a question for someone who may have driven across N. Oregon:

Do we want to take 84 along the Columbia Gorge, up from Idaho to get to Portland? That last day of driving from Twin Falls, ID is looking like 9 hrs so we should maybe detour? Whattya say?
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat May 23, 2009 10:14 pm

zblair wrote:Here's a question for someone who may have driven across N. Oregon:

Do we want to take 84 along the Columbia Gorge, up from Idaho to get to Portland? That last day of driving from Twin Falls, ID is looking like 9 hrs so we should maybe detour? Whattya say?
I84 is beautiful, but Hwy 14 on the Washington side is spectacular. Cross at Bridge of the Gods and then take the scenic route to P-town.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat May 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Westy78 wrote:

Is that why you went all psycho on Bob?

Looks like a very nice ride.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
zblair wrote:Here's a question for someone who may have driven across N. Oregon:

I84 is beautiful, but Hwy 14 on the Washington side is spectacular. Cross at Bridge of the Gods and then take the scenic route to P-town.

-John
x2

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat May 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Hiya Z,

Your route on the 18th will be determined, in all liklihood, by your desires. If you are looking for the quickest route into the Portland area then 84 is the way to go.

As John points out, 14 on the Washington side of the Columbia is an extremely scenic two laner.

But you could also work your way west through central Oregon and take 26 over Mt Hood. This route would take you through some wonderful areas but is sure to be the slowest of the three.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sat May 23, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm leaning more towards spectacular :colors:

Won't we be driving through Central Oregon to get to Maupin? I can't find Maupin on the map I have, but I can find the Deschutes and Little Deschutes Rivers so I figure it's thatta way?
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat May 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Hiya Z,

When we set out for Maupin on the 19th we'll head east on 84 (with a little side excursion on the old scenic highway) up to The Dalles. Then we'll turn south and head down to Maupin on 197. I'm thinking that we'll come back to Portland on 216 and 26 which will take us over Mt Hood.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:30 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Westy78 wrote:

Is that why you went all psycho on Bob?

Looks like a very nice ride.

-John
Psycho? Nah, I just don't agree with the way he thinks about material items. No big deal. What someone does or doesn't have makes no difference to me. It's the person they are. I think we both agree on that point I hope. He likes simple and vintage, I like high tech and modern for the most part. I like Bob and consider him a good friend.

I do think he was born in the wrong century though. :geek: