Saturday meet up in PDX????

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Hey Wayne, give me a call or text when you guys are going to meet up. I might be able to sneak over for a bit.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Great Jasan.. will do!!!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Wayne - I just PM'd you my cell number for text or call - also was thinking about bringing my daughter Ava if your girls will be there.

Jasan & Mike - hope it works for you. TJ- can't wait to see your new bus- the butterflies just mean that it matters to you that's all - and it should.
-'72 Westy-

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:47 pm

Sounds like this is getting to be a regular meet up. Hope to see you all at Max's. When I get the word from Amish, I will call Troy, Jasan and Mike.

See ya boys....!!!!!
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Got a call from Wayne moments ago - Looks like it is 2:00pm at Max's if anyone is planning on last minute.
-'72 Westy-

dhoch14
Old School!

Post by dhoch14 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:45 pm

crap....I've been replacing a brake booster all morning. sorry guys, next time!
93 VW T4 2.4D Cali

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Sorry you couldn't make it dhoch. It was a good time - Great to have TJ and Michelle - they didn't end up getting the bus. Poptop was tweaked pretty bad. I guess it's better to turn away... sometimes you just know if it's not right for the price.

Nice seeing Jasan and Mike again and a pleasure meeting Wayne and his beautiful family.

TJ and his wife and Wayne
Jasan and Mike
A few sweet kiddos

Good times!! Safe travels home Amishman - good thing you're not taking the horse drawn carriage although the gas mileage would have been incredible :cheers:
-'72 Westy-

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:45 am

Geez after all that hooplah! Funny.
I think it's better to by local if possible.
Well I was in the garden all weekend anyway. Gonna be a doozy this year hopefully.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Arrived home a short time ago. Even though the bus did not come home with us, wife and I enjoyed meeting some great Oregon folks. We ended up not buying the bus, after what Hambone calls all the hooplah. :geek: We made the drive to Portland, looked over the bus, and although was a hard decision, we decided with limited time to skip buying it. Some non disclosed issues we found upon arrival and we no longer felt worth the price being asked. We were a far way from home but decided to make a nice weekend of it and still had us a Westfalia Tent to get back in Eugene. We did bring that home and it is rather nice condition. So, it will be used down the road I am sure.

We left last Friday night and 6 hours later, arrived in Grants Pass at midnight. Arose at 5AM Saturday and headed out to Portland at 6AM. Arrived around 10AM or so. As we saw the sweet green westy as we headed to the sellers home, I noticed the poptop appeared open. I thought maybe she just forgot to lock it down. After checking it out, the poptop was actually locked down, but the drivers side on the poptop was a good 2 to 3 inches above where it should be. The opposite side was flush where it should be. The older gal said she did not notice that.
:pale: :pale:

Anyway, I noticed the rear poptop mechanisms were broken and not holding well and after tinkering for a little while, got them back in their tracks but the poptop was a bear to shut. Now the driver side was down and the passenger side was up the 2 to 3 inches. Thought to myself, maybe she drove off at one time with poptop up and hit something or?? The rear end had a nice dent and actual broken metal with a large crack in it so it appears she had her share of bump and runs.

Anyway, did test drive and it appeared to run OK. But, after looking everything over, I no longer felt she was worth the asking price and she was not sure about lowering the price. Said she is not sure what the guy that was helping her sell it would do that, and although it was hers to sell, she was not willing to do anything, so I moved on.

We then met with some of the finest Oregon bus owners for lunch and bear in Tigard and we had a great couple of hours of talking VW. I now can say I know a few of you and can match faces with names. One day will have to camp with some of ya. Thanks for making me feel part of the group to you all and you are great folks!

Wife and I then headed south and picked up the Westy tent in Eugene, then heading over 126 in the snow over the pass, late at night, and arrived in Bend. We wanted to check it out. We were pooped but made it safely, even through snow behind a snowblow over the summit. That was fun!

Enjoyed Sunday in Bend, wife shopped, I ate, and we headed home this 6AM today. Just arrived home. Whew!!

I will make sure if I ever find a bus again in another state, to see if some fellow VW friend can look it over before we head out. I know now that is an option. I just don't like putting folks out but now I know a few of ya, I can. hehehehe.

Anyway, thanks again for a great mini meetup, and I will let you all know if a do finally get that Bay we will call ours. This one did not work out, although it had so many good signs. Original owner, all paperwork and repair records, but in the end, she just was not what we felt worth the asking price after looking it over.

My bank account is now back to normal! <grin>

Take care and nice meeting you!.

TJ & Michelle.
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Oh, we also took the opportunity to hunt down the Bendshire (Lord of the Rings) home community that never was fully developed in Bend Oregon. Another reason we went there. My wife is a LOTR fan and we needed to see the two homes from this now defunkt www.bendshire.com that were built. Two homes based on a LOTR community and parts of the water features and streets, ampitheatre, etc.... were built and then the whole economy tanked, developers lost money, the main one killed himself, and now the whole community is trying to be sold by the bank for only 750K now. I understand they had already spent 4 million. Never could sell it but still trying now at 750K. A steal for someone with the $.

Anyway, we found it and even talked to the one community member that owns the one main house. The 2nd house was not sold and still needs some work. Anyway, cool dude, cool place, and we found it this weekend.

tj

tj (the amishman)

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Nice meeting Troy and TJ and Michelle as well. Plus it was nice seeing Jasan and Mike as I haven't seen them very much lately.

Glad you had a good trip (other than the bus) and that you made it home safe and sound.

Well, safe at least. :bounce:

Frank Bama

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Keep in touch with "us" (the PDX contingent) if you find a Bus on CL in this part of teh woods you'd like a better look at. Some of us have free time and could give a Bus a once-over .. I just don't have free time on *weekends* is all.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 am

Hey TJ, I gotta give you credit. I'm the type that if I set off on a 500+ mile trip with intentions of buying a bus, by god, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BUS!

I'm impressed with your sense of sanity and your ability to walk away from it after coming all that way. For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice. The pictures you posted kinda scared me and then what you've told us you saw with your own eyes sealed (or broke) the deal. I'm kinda surprised the lady wouldn't lower the price after all the stuff you pointed out and the fact that you're standing there in front of her with cash. Oh well, good luck to her, she's gonna need it.

By the way, the same offer from the PDX'ers is extended by me to you and all IAC'ers for the Puget Sound (Seattle) Washington region. If anybody needs me to go put eyes on a bus, bug, whatever in my area, or if anyone needs local logistics help (airport ride, short-term storage, facilities for pre-trip inspection/work, etc.) just let me know, I'm happy to do it.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 am

dtrumbo wrote:Hey TJ, I gotta give you credit. I'm the type that if I set off on a 500+ mile trip with intentions of buying a bus, by god, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BUS!

I'm impressed with your sense of sanity and your ability to walk away from it after coming all that way. For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice. The pictures you posted kinda scared me and then what you've told us you saw with your own eyes sealed (or broke) the deal. I'm kinda surprised the lady wouldn't lower the price after all the stuff you pointed out and the fact that you're standing there in front of her with cash. Oh well, good luck to her, she's gonna need it.

By the way, the same offer from the PDX'ers is extended by me to you and all IAC'ers for the Puget Sound (Seattle) Washington region. If anybody needs me to go put eyes on a bus, bug, whatever in my area, or if anyone needs local logistics help (airport ride, short-term storage, facilities for pre-trip inspection/work, etc.) just let me know, I'm happy to do it.
Thanks.

It was a rather hard decision, but I feel we did the right thing. We made a extended weekend of it. Played around and did get the tent. :cheers:

I am a bit bummed we don't own the green bus but something will come our way in time. What I can say is I am not ready to drive that far again to look at a bus. hehehe

So, for now, my Eriba Puck will be our camper for this season of camping.

tj

tj (the amishman)

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 am

I second and third the "I'll take a look and give my two cents" if you find another in the PDX area.

Sorry I missed meetin' you folk, though It looks like you were in good hands with our local 'big beefy Camper Special" owners.

Did they show off their beautiful rides?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....