4th Annual Deschutes River RendezVW, Maupin Oregon

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi All -

I had a great time at Maupin and liked meeting new folks as well as reconnecting with others. Nothing but good memories there.

The trip home was another matter, however. I headed for home down the Deschutes river and up to Grass Valley on the way to Biggs Junction on I-84. The wind was bad, but I was looking forward to having a nice tail wind as I headed east on 84. Just a little east of the John Day dam, where the road goes through a rock cut and signs say something like 'Wind Gusts' (duh), I glanced at the oncoming lane just in time to notice a passenger car as it went airborne and tumbled end over end, with wheels and other parts flying off in all directions. Fortunately for me, it went off the road and down the embankment rather than over the median barrier toward me. I pulled over as quickly as I could (damn those rumble strips on the shoulder of the road). Some other folks on the westbound lanes stopped too. I called 911. I had the sinking feeling you get when you realize that it is unlikely anyone could survive an accident like that. I contemplated going over to help but traffic was really bad and the median is nothing more those concrete barriers. By now a lot of west bound drivers were stopping and standing on the shoulder with a look of horror on their faces as they stared into the ravine. As I drove away some folks were moving something that looked like a box spring off the road. I wondered if someone didn't tie something down on top of their car with enough strength to withstand the winds that day. I checked the poptop on my van to make sure it was latched. It was. I can't find anything in the news today about the accident.

I hope everyone else had a good trip home.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Maz804, What great photos you posted in your gallery! Thank you and welcome to the forum. So glad you were there with your family, nice men you have raised there...

Satchmo, glad you're home safely and sorry bout the accident you had to witness...
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

flyawaydesigns
Getting Hooked!

Post by flyawaydesigns » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
covelo wrote:BTW, I lost my little cup of tie dye miracle juice. Can you let me know what stuff to buy to replace it with? My shirt came out very nice and authentic and I want it to stay that way. Thanks!
Try a craft or fabric store...you're looking for fibre reactive dye detergent for the initial wash. Often called setraphol??? Dharma Trading Company is where I get mine online. It's a detergent used to "lock in" the dyes. If you find this a challenge, let me know and I'll figure out a way to get a leak proof bottle to you. Go ahead and rinse the heck out of it for now...and maybe air dry it? I wouldn't wear it until it goes thru the wash. I think JoAnn's Fabric sells a similar product. Let me know. GREAT to meet you Hans!!!!
Thanx Mark, we forgot to grab some of that too and wondered what it was called.

We had a great time again this year and were glad to see it was a full house!

The live tunes were spectacular. Was it us, or did the first fellow do several songs that were reminiscent of Cat Stevens?? We dug that...

We're looking forward to next year already. We loved everyone's photos and will post some of ours here soon too.

Rick and Carman
C and R
Handmade VW Bus Rear Tents
www.flyawaydesignsonline.com or flyawaydesigns@yahoo.com

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Bleyseng wrote: Who was the yellowish bus broke down or stopped along the Gorge past Hood river or near there??? I was fighting the wind trying to stay in my lane at 65mph when Monique says "Isn't that one of the buses from Maupin" just as we go past a exit so too late to stop...
Bleyseng, That was me. Luckily not broken down but stopped to make sure my poptop was held down alright (see post above from Satchmo - oh my goodness). If the aerodynamics of a bus weren't enough, we also had a cargo bag filled with sleeping bags and pillows up on the luggage rack that even caught more of the wind. The canvas inside was billowing out and some of those gusts were incredibly scary - felt my poptop shift once or twice when a big one would hit. Right about that time, I was wishing I took the route back over Mt. Hood or the gravel road from Timothy Lake.
-'72 Westy-

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:42 pm

I tellya, that Columbia Gorge wind thing is a force to be reckoned with. TentPeg was pretty good with it last week, but last year's trip with the LeadFoot twins in the Dorper was white knuckle time.

Great gas mileage on the eastbound leg Sunday, though. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Anyone hear what happened to Elwood?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 pm

glasseye wrote:I tellya, that Columbia Gorge wind thing is a force to be reckoned with. TentPeg was pretty good with it last week, but last year's trip with the LeadFoot twins in the Dorper was white knuckle time.

Great gas mileage on the eastbound leg Sunday, though. :cheers:
Oy, don't I know it. Westbound is brutal 99% of the time but that also makes it a world wide mecca for windsurfing.....they and the wind turbines can keep the wind....berf.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 am

First the videos, better watched in high quality........

Starting to drop into the Deschutes River canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4FsU54v1zA

Entering town and across the river to the camp ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPAm68dMmVs

The beer is prepared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygaRNbWDwKc

The beer is announced and consumed with your host IFBwax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOFQGy2Bws

360° panorama of the digs. Click on the photos for larger size.....

View out the pop-top early Friday afternoon.

Hal does what no Bus driver wants to do when trying to camp and enjoy a weekend.

The low landers.

Paige starts the lessons.

Later Friday as dtrumbo sets up camp.

Of course Cow was there surveying the surroundings.

Friday evening potluck.

Susan arrives in her Zapper.

The man who makes it all happen.

Friday night live entertainment. Back up by Zane.

Casa de Gypsie....since he says I never take any photos of his Van.

Barry tries to ace the Gypsie quiz.

In my corner for the weekend.

I spy the Road Warrior.

The cleanest window ever.

Hammy preps for a new window and seal.

The special option that Hammy never told us about in the rebuild.

The new engine gets approved.

Bus chute.

Obligatory hubcap shot.

The Bookwus ride.

Hoop camp.

Shake it Spiffy....

Full house.

Z and J enjoying the Saturday evening show.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:46 am

natep73 wrote:Wow, what a trip, we had a great time as well. it took me a while to post, I hadn't heard of this site, until mark mentioned it as we were picking up next years registration, we have just been on the Samba, so I had to wait a while to get the logged into this site.

LiveonJG, that was us tailing you, like I said we were going to follow you all the way, but we already ate in Salem, so we didn't want to pull into Lake Oswego, maybe we will caravan next year, just let me know what time you are coming through Salem

my wife and I didn't get to meet as many of you as we would have liked, most of our time was spent keeping our twin 3 year olds occupied,
but we really enjoyed the atmosphere and company.

here are a couple shots of our sink contraption that many of you commented on, we love it, it gets everything out of the bus, doesn't take up much room, and has lots of space for cooking and all. It also has semi-running water, with a foot pump, and a couple of 5 gallon containers.
[albumimg]2595[/albumimg][albumimg]2596[/albumimg][albumimg]2597[/albumimg]
We got it at GI Joes, before they disappeared, I am sure similar ones exist elsewhere

It was nice to see so all the the other blue riviera's. the best was when my son Wesley, got lost leaving the meadow, and went over to Papa Smurf's that looks just like ours. My other son Brayden loved your Tuba playing spiffy, it was nice to hear something besides guitar, and singing..... or Harmonica ;)
here are some more shots of our boys, we also want to thank the clan next to ours, with the two splits&the rivi, and maybe more, I couldn't keep track, my boys loved the face painting.
[albumimg]2598[/albumimg] I used to be a rafting & Kayaking guide on this river so it was nice to be back in town, here they are getting ready to go swimming
[albumimg]2599[/albumimg]
on the way home we drove up to White River falls, and hiked around a bit, here are some more shots of the kids playing at the falls
[albumimg]2594[/albumimg]
[albumimg]2600[/albumimg]
Next year maybe we could take a small group up there and go swimming, it is really a nice spot, and the water is a bit warmer then the Deschutes. it is just a pain to break down the campsite to drive the bus anywhere

Next year my wife is talking about having some and singing and dancing for all the little ones, she is a general music teacher and has lots of little sing along song and dances that can keep the kids occupied

Anyway, thanks again for all the great memories, my family and I loved it, see you next year.

[/img]
Those boys are adorable! How old?

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

natep73
I'm New!

Post by natep73 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:01 am

3 1/2 twins
thanks, we like them too......... well most of the time ;)
73 Riviera

and used to have about 6 others :(

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Really cool seeing all of you.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Thats a nice one Wayne --- After all that bubble poppin' and frisbee catchin', Willow has been laying around like a bum the past two days. One this is for sure, a few cheap laughs are always guaranteed.

Here's a good one my wife took a couple months ago. Lets just say that
"stay" is one of the commands that she has mastered.

-'72 Westy-

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Oh the humanity.....
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Oregon72 wrote: Here's a good one my wife took a couple months ago. Lets just say that
"stay" is one of the commands that she has mastered.

Laffed out loud! :cheers:

Now, y'see, a cat would never do that.

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Incredible pics, Jasan!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)