Northwest Vintage VW Meet (Shoreline, WA)

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

CoPilot

Northwest Vintage VW Meet (Shoreline, WA)

Post by CoPilot » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 am

Just wanted to see if any of the IAC PNWers will be attending the Cascade Kombi's Vintage Meet??

I will be volunteering at the gate, checking people in for the show and swap--first shift from about 7am to 10am or longer, who knows! I know I haven't met many other Seattle area folk, so I just wanted to see who is going!

:) elaine

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:27 am

Wear a nametag, Elaine, and I'll be sure to say 'Hi'. I'm only stopping in for a few hours. If you see some people barbecueing on their own somewhere around where the busses are lined up, I'll be with that group.

Looking forward to it.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am

So...Meyer, I never made it over to look for you. I helped out at the gate a little longer than planned and then parked myself in front of the band while they played. :flower:

Did you score anything nice at the swap?

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:54 am

CoPilot wrote:So...Meyer, I never made it over to look for you. I helped out at the gate a little longer than planned and then parked myself in front of the band while they played. :flower:

Did you score anything nice at the swap?
Outstanding. I got welcomed and fed by the Hawaiian contingent - you NEED to make friends there, the cooking is at a professional level. I got to catch up with a couple dozen people I rarely see. Everett Barns from TS was there, although I didn't get to talk with him this time. I did get to congratulate Localboy on his predictable show win with that perfect notch of his. But damn, that was the biggest Vintagemeet ever, by a LOOOOOOONG shot. Makes up for the anemic Springmeet earlier this year.

The only problem was that this was the year that I didn't have a vehicle in the show (I took third in the split camper class a couple of years ago), and with other obligations, I was only able to stay a few hours. So it was like trying to drink from a firehose. I got pointed out to a few people who wanted to meet me - god knows why - and I must have seemed pretty distracted to them. I did look for you at the gate, but it was all guys, so no joy there.

I also was saddened that my buddy Alan wasn't there selling parts. These are the only times I get to chat with him. I also missed the kettlecorn guy (I've forgotten his name!) - looks like he couldn't make it this year. I put him and his kids up at my house back in 2003 - great guy and I love that stretched bus of his.

I didn't buy anything at the swap this year, as I didn't know at the time what car I would end up with - if any. I've been through alot of false starts this past year. But I'm locked in to a Squareback now - should arrive in a few weeks - so I'll start buying, selling and hoarding again. (I guess I can finally let go of my split bus Bentley if anybody wants it - perfect condition, bought it for $100 and will let it go for $75.)

I'll definately be there all day next year, and will do the burger meet as well. It'll be my first year in the T3 category, and I look forward to having Annie wipe the floor with me.

Money is not speech.

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 am

HOT DAYUM it was a huge show, wasn't it? I got there at 7:00am to do the early shift and I COULDN'T GET IN the line of buses was so long! I knew it was going to be a fab day. And at that point I realized I didn't have my camera. :blackeye:

I am miffed to know that the illustrious Everett Barnes was there. I had no idea he was from the area? Or was this an official business trip? Even though I have no interaction with TS or anything, I would've loved to have seen 'the man, the mystery, the legend' or whatever folks refer to him by :profileright: :pirate: :drunken: :) Just teasing!

So you have a square now. Cool beans. This VW thing will take over yer life! :)

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:19 am

CoPilot wrote:HOT DAYUM it was a huge show, wasn't it? I got there at 7:00am to do the early shift and I COULDN'T GET IN the line of buses was so long! I knew it was going to be a fab day. And at that point I realized I didn't have my camera. :blackeye:

I am miffed to know that the illustrious Everett Barnes was there. I had no idea he was from the area? Or was this an official business trip? Even though I have no interaction with TS or anything, I would've loved to have seen 'the man, the mystery, the legend' or whatever folks refer to him by :profileright: :pirate: :drunken: :) Just teasing!

So you have a square now. Cool beans. This VW thing will take over yer life! :)
Everett is just a nice, mild regular guy. Couldn't be more polite, but I bet he probably gets sick of people - especially people like me - coming up wanting to meet him all the time when all he really wants to do is look for parts.

And a little late on the VW thing taking over my life... I've been into it for well over a decade now. For me, its always been more about the camping and the people, but I think I'm going to start getting more into buying, selling and wrenching now. I'm breaking a long-standing rule and am creating a paypal and eBay account as I write this. And I'm going to be, I think, taking on a larger role in the CFTC from now on as well as continuing to help with admin work on Franklin's site. And I'm actually getting married by one of my VW cronies in a couple weeks - Annie will be doing the officiating.

:drunken:

Money is not speech.

CoPilot

Post by CoPilot » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:18 am

Wellllll....CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptials! :flower: :flower:

I couldn't agree more with the camping and meeting people bit. I'm not handy with a wrench and have trouble committing to projects involving labor and mechanical expertise. Curtains, I'll make curtains, and stickers--got that too! :)

Wish we could've made CFTC, by the sounds of it, it was well attended and a great drive. Maybe next year!?! :)

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey Elaine don,t forget THAT stamp also :bom:
I think my wrenching days are numbered or really slowed down and I would rather be sewing curtains. These VWs need all kinds of love.

Sounds like a great bunch of folks up in your neck of the woods and great that you are involved. Lots of clubs and activity in So. Cal. but almost too many to choose one that fits. But I really haven,t looked, maybe after Jake gets rolling. Little steps in progress, lining up old friends w/connections to get welding done, along with man power :joker: Still not too old for that sorta thing.

And Meyer II, congradulation from me also. Who is Annie?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Elwood wrote:Hey Elaine don,t forget THAT stamp also :bom:
I think my wrenching days are numbered or really slowed down and I would rather be sewing curtains. These VWs need all kinds of love.

Sounds like a great bunch of folks up in your neck of the woods and great that you are involved. Lots of clubs and activity in So. Cal. but almost too many to choose one that fits. But I really haven,t looked, maybe after Jake gets rolling. Little steps in progress, lining up old friends w/connections to get welding done, along with man power :joker: Still not too old for that sorta thing.

And Meyer II, congradulation from me also. Who is Annie?
Thanks Elwood. Annie is sort of a force of nature around here. Funnier than heck, a real blast and one of the driving force behind several VW-related charity events throughout the year. Goes by the name "Anniehum" on TS, Franklins, the SEWR and Olydubs. Just a great human.

Money is not speech.