To Maupin from Canada, Ay?

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

To Maupin from Canada, Ay?

Post by glasseye » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Like Colin, we bin dying here from the cold and rain and sn*w. Even the old-timers can't remember snow in the valley bottom in June. Juneuary, indeed.

So, I bailed. On a wing and a prayer, (remember, this bus hasn't run since the middle 80's) I departed Creston, bound first for Pullman to meet satchmo and amskeptic, then onward to Maupin and heat.
Rain, rain, rain and single digit temperatures followed me all the way into Washington State, so near Steptoe, WA, I gave up, pulled over, covered up and resumed my book. It's been 20-odd years since I read this, but it's worth a second look. Highly recommended.

Rain and wind kept me awake most of the short hours of darkness and at 0600 I gave up and greeted the sunny morn. The Palouse is incredible at any time of year, but this morning was loaded with extra goodness. Meadowlarks sang, raindrops sparkled and the bus was warm again.

My on-location "Sunny-D" proved insufficient for breakfast so I decamped to downtown Colfax for a road brekkie of "two, over medium, hashbrowns, brown toast and coffee, please". Halfway through the eggs, in walks satchmo, a face I'd not seen since the previous fall when we did CPR on the bus together. Riding past on his bicycle (from his home about 20 miles away, all hills), he'd seen the bus and tracked me down.

The Palouse is America's Tuscany. You must go.

* and now a special word from the dark side*
Anyone travelling to Maupin from the more liberal states, please remember your poor, suffering international friends who cannot transport medications across the border. :drunken:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 pm

I'll be rolling soon myself. Sunny, feels like temps in the 70s, and supposed to remain so through the weekend. Sounds perfect.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:03 pm

We've had snow in June here in the Midwest - in Chicago. Right now it's typical June weather though.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Awesome pictures.. Can't wait to meet ya!!!!!! See you Friday afternoon.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Those are great pictures. Nicely done.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:14 pm

It's truly amazing when you see real professional photography. Absolutely beautiful! Your bus looks forty-feet long in the first shot! I assume some special lens? I know nothing about photography other than I can tell when someone knows what they're doing.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:24 am

dtrumbo wrote:It's truly amazing when you see real professional photography.
Thanks, boys. Making pictures is twice as fun when others enjoy them, too.

Tools. It's all about the tools. The camera's just about state of the art - a Nikon D300. The interior and the cloudy sky shot are with my 12-24mm. That's wide. Really wide. A wide angle lens is as important to a photographer as a hammer is to a carpenter.

The landscape was made with a long telephoto lens, three images stitched together in Photoshop to make a hundred megapixel file that would print probably a meter wide.

Against all odds, I'm learning to love this bus. I spent most of yesterday dawdling around near satchmo's place in SE Washington state and the VW is proving a great photo-companion.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:43 am

I'm late in chiming in here, but those photos are divine. I can't wait to see what else your eyes and ability will reveal to us.

I think how we pass the time is a big part of the process and the journey for us. The more relaxed we are, the more engaged and aware we can find ourselves. And that state of mind is compatible with possibility. Unlimited possibility.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Nice job glasseye. Is that wheat? The color is great. I always like your skies too. The interior shot of your bus is super. Where were you parked? On the side of a road? I always like roadside camping. I only get away with it in the most remote areas, or truck pull-offs, or truckstops, or behind a gas station with permission.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 pm

turk wrote:Nice job glasseye. Is that wheat? The color is great. I always like your skies too. The interior shot of your bus is super. Where were you parked? On the side of a road? I always like roadside camping. I only get away with it in the most remote areas, or truck pull-offs, or truckstops, or behind a gas station with permission.
Nice sense of color, things pop.

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:43 pm

Looks like spring. Yellow green.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:59 pm

turk wrote:Looks like spring. Yellow green.
I don't think it's natural. I could be wrong.

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Duude, when I was in SW Wisconsin last May it looked surreal. Imagine the coulees cloaked in yellow-green. I want to try to find some cool camp spots there. I heard about a nice one in Glen Haven near the Mississippi. Anything in Grant County, Richland County, etc.. I'm looking into it.

turk

Post by turk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:29 pm

Actually, thinking back, a lot of the trees were red too. Probably maples. I was blown off my seat. Think how it is in autumn. All along the Mississippi Valley, all the way up into Minnesota. And it's foggy and misty, especially at daybreak.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:16 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
turk wrote:Looks like spring. Yellow green.
I don't think it's natural. I could be wrong.
It's pretty close to the natural color of wheat at this time of year around here...
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.