Bend, Oregon events?

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Bend, Oregon events?

Post by regis101 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Greetings. We're planning a 7-10 day trip to this area in July. Looking to find out about any area clubs, events, or camp sites in the area.

We live near San Fran. Will be coming up 5 and head toward Bend from Weed, Ca on 97.

'55 Ragtop
Getting Hooked!

Post by '55 Ragtop » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:21 am

If you can make it up just a couple weeks sooner, you could go to the Deshutes bus run in Maupin!
Always looking for one more...

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 am

Yes. I saw that. I'm thinking it's ~100 miles north of Bend.

As the time gets nearer, I'll plan more exacting. Once we hit 97 from Weed, I won't be in a hurry. I'd like to explore all the that road has to offer.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:54 pm

North-central Oregon is flat-out beyooootiful Tons of tiny roads, just waiting for you.

Can you do Crater Lake on the way past? Incredible.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:23 pm

If you do Crater Lake, stay at Diamond Lake just up the road. With some planning you can get a spot right on the water.

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:26 pm

[img][img]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x33/ ... 0_0537.jpg[/img]

Here we are last Fall at a local CG.

So I have the Oregon camping book by Stienstra and the Oregon Atlas & Gazetteer with 7 minute topos. I see that Diamond Lake has three CG's.
The west one has views of Mt Thielsen, the south is set back from the lake and the east CG is the largest. It doesn't seem that far from 97.

We have kids, six and four yr old. She'll be five in march. They like road trippin'.

The dog has to stay home for this one. And the cat's on her own.[/img]

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:29 pm

I also see that the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail is close to Crater lake

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure we stayed at Diamond Lake on the East side of the lake.. and I'll try and find our campsite number.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Deschutes River RendezVW!!!! June 13-15...pm me regis if you want the scoop!
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

I immediately jumped on the net and found SOVW, a pdf with the entry application, and some past threads about 1 and 2.

Bend is ~1 1/2 hrs south of there. I could pull the Fathers Day trump card.

My first thought was to vacay in July. I will give it some serious thought. The kids are out of school on the 6th.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:32 pm

It's a blast.. you should go.. bringing my wife and two daughters, then on Sunday heading to this Indian reservation that has a huge outdoor pool that's heated by a hot spring... Maupin campout is full of lots of great people, extremely low key, there's white water rafting.. and Mark has a vast selection of Oregon Micro brews.. plus the music jam session.. Colin is threatening to go this year.. etc. etc.. but my favorite is the valve cover gasket toss... nope,.. make that the beer.. and the ribs...

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 am

Googled up Bend motels and hotels.

One that caught my eye was Riverhouse Resort. Bonus points are that they have a living room suite. 2 rooms. Bedroom with a king bed and the second room is the living area with kitchenette, table/chairs, and sofa bed.

Any thoughts on this Resort?

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:25 am

regis101 wrote:Googled up Bend motels and hotels.

One that caught my eye was Riverhouse Resort. Bonus points are that they have a living room suite. 2 rooms. Bedroom with a king bed and the second room is the living area with kitchenette, table/chairs, and sofa bed.

Any thoughts on this Resort?
Depends how deep your pockets are. Great golf course nearby if that's your cup of tea. You may want to check out Camp Sherman on the Metolious River outside of Sisters (20 min from Bend). Google it...there are places with really cool cabins on the river (one of the most beautiful rivers in central Oregon IMHO. Good luck...plan this around father's day so you can join us at the RendezVW!

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Learning from last years trip to Durango, we need space for the young ones.

Having a regular two bed standard motel room gets cramped fast.
They need a place to spread out some toys. Also learned that 50% of the time will be devoted to the kids so parks, short drives, a museum and (maybe) mild rafting will be had. Just found out that a guy I work with said his GF's parents moved up there a few years ago. Mentioned Sisters as a place to see.

Riverhouse's rates are doable for a week or less. I'll mapquest them for exacting distances and maps to the center of town.

Would be nice to stay right in Bend so as to walk around town. IIRC, Red Lion is right in there. A few others also. Cleanliness of the place will be the deciding factor. Again, with last years trip to Durango, we had a suite at the Ramada and it was horrible. Too late to change.

This time around we'll have the Westy. If it gets that bad, I'll be searching for a CG. I have a KOA card and AAA for room rates.

Wifey and I will soon pick our vacation times. I'm thinking the last two weeks in June or the first two weeks in July. Our car club, "gathering" actually, is co-sponsoring our first show on June 28th. I volunteered as a staff member. Need to work in some vaca time to that.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Depending on your budget, Sun River (20 min south of Bend) is a great family spot...playgrounds, swimming pools, museum, close to a lava tube cave (very cool!). You can rent houses...they vary in price...but we always find something reasonable. You can get a full 2-3-4-5 bedroom house, full kitchen, on a bike bath...etc for under a couple hundred a night...less for a smaller house...just shop around. If you are looking for multi-day kid-filled schtuff...Sun River is highly recommended in my opinion...we always have a GREAT time there. Many, many scenic spots within a 30 minute drive. And, only 2 hours from the Deschutes River RendezVW :cheers: