Wet westies Leavenworth Octoberfest campout.

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Wet westies Leavenworth Octoberfest campout.

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Anyone around here planning to go? Last year was the first one and I missed it but heard that everyone had a great time. Busses, bavarian town in the mountains, people, and beer...(ooooo, and BRATS!!!) sounds hard to pass up to me.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:50 pm

I'd really love to come up but that's the weekend after getting home from hunting for four days which is the the weekend after being in the Wallowas for a week. If the bus seems to be holding together and I still have gas funds after those other two outings I'll try and make it but I may need a weekend of down time. :compress:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:29 pm

Westy78 wrote:I'd really love to come up but that's the weekend after getting home from hunting for four days which is the the weekend after being in the Wallowas for a week. If the bus seems to be holding together and I still have gas funds after those other two outings I'll try and make it but I may need a weekend of down time. :compress:
I hear ya' this weekend is my 'reset' before going back to work.....if only to vacuum the damn carpet. I finally broke down and bought a BD awning and didn't use it the whole trip....no worries though, they are worth their weight in gold in the NW. I think the last time I saw you was at Dash Point in 04' and I had a chopped up dome tent and a tarp as an awning, that thing lasted me two years though :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:46 pm

I've had the BD/Just Kampers Ezy awning for a couple of years now and they work pretty well for the price. A couple of little things could have been designed better but for the most part they're great. One of the biggest advantages to them is the high head room underneath from the dome design. Not like a permanent mount awning that is flat.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Westy78 wrote:I've had the BD/Just Kampers Ezy awning for a couple of years now and they work pretty well for the price. A couple of little things could have been designed better but for the most part they're great. One of the biggest advantages to them is the high head room underneath from the dome design. Not like a permanent mount awning that is flat.
Ya' mean one that costs $500? Yep, screw that. Dome tent awning is the way to go. Do you attach yours to the rain gutter or the pop top bottom? (I noticed on my rivi that their is a nice flat mounting spot up on the bottom of the pop top platform.) BTW I got one from the newest batch and the top has a reflective treatment on top.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:41 pm

spiffy wrote:Ya' mean one that costs $500? Yep, screw that. Dome tent awning is the way to go. Do you attach yours to the rain gutter or the pop top bottom? (I noticed on my rivi that their is a nice flat mounting spot up on the bottom of the pop top platform.) BTW I got one from the newest batch and the top has a reflective treatment on top.
I attach mine to the gutter. The pole fits just right and then I hold it in place with those small spring hand clamps with the rubber tips. Three of them plus staking the front legs down holds it very steady. If there are winds I'll stake a line from each side off the front and it goes nowhere. If you fold the material under the pole as you pop it down into the gutter you get a nice water tight seal over the slider door. I like the idea of that reflective top. It can get kind of toasty under that thing in the heat of the day.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:21 am

Westy78 wrote:
spiffy wrote:Ya' mean one that costs $500? Yep, screw that. Dome tent awning is the way to go. Do you attach yours to the rain gutter or the pop top bottom? (I noticed on my rivi that their is a nice flat mounting spot up on the bottom of the pop top platform.) BTW I got one from the newest batch and the top has a reflective treatment on top.
I attach mine to the gutter. The pole fits just right and then I hold it in place with those small spring hand clamps with the rubber tips. Three of them plus staking the front legs down holds it very steady. If there are winds I'll stake a line from each side off the front and it goes nowhere. If you fold the material under the pole as you pop it down into the gutter you get a nice water tight seal over the slider door. I like the idea of that reflective top. It can get kind of toasty under that thing in the heat of the day.
Thanks for the tips...already starting to get that rain smell in the air around here. Time to start using rust-oleum for deoderant :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

PDX_Hops
Getting Hooked!

Re: Wet westies Leavenworth Octoberfest campout.

Post by PDX_Hops » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:58 pm

spiffy wrote:Anyone around here planning to go?
The wife and I might be going. Depends on whether she gets that weekend off (should find out in the next week or so).
'76 Westy Weekender- "Fran"

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: Wet westies Leavenworth Octoberfest campout.

Post by spiffy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:55 pm

PDX_Hops wrote:
spiffy wrote:Anyone around here planning to go?
The wife and I might be going. Depends on whether she gets that weekend off (should find out in the next week or so).
My goal is to get my wife to do the chicken dance with me, two years ago I was the only drunken fool of the bunch out there flappin' away with the polka band. Hope to meet you folks!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:53 am

when is this?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:29 am

VWGirl wrote:when is this?
October 6-8th. You gonna make it all the way out here?

http://wetwesties.type2.com/calendar.htm

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:59 pm

nope i am campin here that weekend.... i will be in seattle/kirkland/olympis the 11th through the 18th... so we should have a get together somewhere near there (since i wont have a car) that weekend :)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:09 am

VWGirl wrote: i will be in seattle/kirkland/olympis the 11th through the 18th...
So where do we cross paths?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:24 pm

I'm flying... so just look up and you will see me :) I think I will have to cross paths with you off the itenerary somewhere on the east coast... I really have no intentions of driving out of this state for the rest of the year... however, I have 4 four day weekends left this year... and may get the urge to go somewhere... most likely chattanooga... but we'll see

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:56 pm

so, we can't drag anyone else along??? camping is going to really cheap......
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"