IAC midwest get together

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Post by turk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:53 pm

It was a tough trip. Thanks for the good company all. You guys and gals rock. I will DL the rest of my pics soon. There are a few cool ones. Especially the tree frog and the snake. We had a great time in spite of the biblical weather.
http://community.webshots.com/album/563757170TeoAvZ

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Very cool.

He had to get the tractor to get you out? The 4WD pickup didn't do it? Wow. Is that rope from the tractor somehow tied to that log on your dash?

Glad you made it out.

turk

Post by turk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:35 pm

I tied the canvas towing strap with a crowbar to the eye hook under the bumper on the frame. It worked like a charm. There was no other way out for me. Really. Kudos to the rest of you for making it out. I always cringe just a bit when I see you make that bend chitwn and your bus leans like 45 degrees on the uneven ruts. But you always make it. I stay on the high part and whack the trees. It really should be photographed when you or any other bus makes that bend the way it is these days.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 pm

More pics turk. My camera was in a wounded state...

turk

Post by turk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:06 pm

I try. Not hard enough though. I barely know what I'm doing. I have a top notch amateur system as you could tell but I never read the manual. I think the close-up of the frog worked though. I still havn't looked it up but i'll guess: grey tree frog. I wonder if the black blotches are his skin color changing - because he was cupped in my hand, or that your shirt was black. Good we let him go soon though. Not good to handle frogs for long as they have the protective layer of mucus which our hands tear up. Cool to notice them singing later. Still downloading a bunch. We went to a hotel in Savanna after that to clean up. The Apple River was a flood all along Rte 84. It was gnarly. We went to the Franklin Creek Natural Area later.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Those photos were awesome. Chitwn your daughters are adorable, and I love that name Eden too. Very cool! You guys look like you had a great time, even with all of the mud. The doggies too!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

turk

Post by turk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:33 pm

We want to adopt Bear but we really can't. He's a sweet pup. Totally protected all of us.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:56 am

zblair wrote:Those photos were awesome. Chitwn your daughters are adorable, and I love that name Eden too.
...And his daughters are just as sweet, smart, and well behaved as they are cute.

I wish we could take Bear, too, but my nearly 15 year old Corgi would have a heart attack, I think. :blackeye:

Rob

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:59 am

Looks like you guys had a good time despite the crazy weather, sorry I missed it.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:17 am

Bear is staying with the Chitwn clan, isn't he? I think BEAR is the perfect name for him. He looks like one to me! Are any of those dogs part Heeler? They have characteristics that look similar...
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 am

zblair wrote:Bear is staying with the Chitwn clan, isn't he? I think BEAR is the perfect name for him. He looks like one to me! Are any of those dogs part Heeler? They have characteristics that look similar...
We used to have a dog named Bear, but he passed on a year and a half ago. He was a sweet heart.
[albumimg]409[/albumimg]
Here's the new Bear, which stayed at the Wooded Wonderland.
[albumimg]2119[/albumimg]
Here's our two dogs, Truman and Lola, wishing we'd get out of this cold muddy place and back to a warm couch.
[albumimg]2117[/albumimg]

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 am

Now I'm confused. Who does the new Bear belong to? Did he just live at the campground? Was he a stray?
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 am

zblair wrote:Now I'm confused. Who does the new Bear belong to? Did he just live at the campground? Was he a stray?
He lives at the Wooded Wonderland. There are two brown Dobermans and a Coonhound (Bear's mom) that live there with Bear. They just wander around the 300 acre compound. It's a great life for a dog. Except for the ticks.

turk

Post by turk » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Here's a pic from last year of chitwn's bus going around the bend with the steep ruts. This wasn't the problem this time. It sure looks funny though.

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 pm

hey there - real busy with the new job- would like to meet some of the other bus pilots in the chicago area before winter is upon us. I am working a ton at the new job- first day of class monday but would like to meet some of you before the bus is dormant for the winter. Let me know what works.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI