Maupin Launch

Post articles about your club or any upcoming events.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Maupin Launch

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:53 am

I know I am not alone here regarding road trips that begin earlier, are begun, or extend beyond the Maupin gathering.

In the past I have hit the Wallowa's, up into the far reaches of Idaho's panhandle and back home. Sometimes just an extra day or two between Maupin and Portland, and for a third time, down to Eureka.

Those Redwoods, every time, just humble and amaze me. Still on extended Maupin travels, but heading north looks like Saturday. Arrival home? Still undetermined.

Pictures of tonight have to be taken tomorrow. But good beer down here. Yum. They're serious about it.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

sailorkh
Addicted!

Re: Maupin Launch

Post by sailorkh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 am

I'm happy that you are enjoying yourself, I had a wonderful time on my trip. If you are near Santa Rosa you just have to stop here.....you won't regret it.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/

Have a great trip :cheers:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I know I am not alone here regarding road trips that begin earlier, are begun, or extend beyond the Maupin gathering.
Since Maupin:

I spent Monday night at the Eightmile crossing campground near Dufur. Stopped next day at the Dalles for gas, groceries, and internet. That night, I camped in Yakima Canyon, at Big Pines.

From there, I drove to Anacortes, where I spent a few days with an old hang gliding buddy I hadn't seen in thirty years. Now I'm in a library in Des Moines, Washington. Tonight I camp around Portland somewhere, tomorrow night I attend a high school reunion there, and then I go home to Sacramento.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 pm

JLT wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:I know I am not alone here regarding road trips that begin earlier, are begun, or extend beyond the Maupin gathering.
Since Maupin:

I spent Monday night at the Eightmile crossing campground near Dufur. Stopped next day at the Dalles for gas, groceries, and internet. That night, I camped in Yakima Canyon, at Big Pines.

From there, I drove to Anacortes, where I spent a few days with an old hang gliding buddy I hadn't seen in thirty years. Now I'm in a library in Des Moines, Washington. Tonight I camp around Portland somewhere, tomorrow night I attend a high school reunion there, and then I go home to Sacramento.
I camped at Jones Creek in the Tillamook State Forest off Hwy 6 last Tuesday. Cost $10.00, is about 40 minutes from Portland, and I was the only one in the campground. Was very nice.

Hope you have a great time at your reunion, and a safe drive home.
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:32 pm

I came home and haven't stopped sneezing. Come on summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm

We had a nice post Maupin run. Met up with Mike and Elaine in Walla Walla for some good conversation and good beer at Laht Neppur brewpub. Monday visit with the father in law in Milton-Freewater. Monday night camped at Marhill State park on the Columbia. Nice run.
Keep it acoustic.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 am

Just landed back home oh I guess yesterday now by the infernal element of time. Left Eureka, uh, yesterday now morning at 6:30 am. Pulled into back home destination about nine in the evening.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 am

It was a good and eventful run. It isn't everyday you drive through a cluster of parked vehicles dealing with a cougar as road kill.

Belated barrage of imagery, but so it goes.

Woefully lacking any ambition but to enjoy myself while at Maupin, this is the first shot I managed, uh, Monday morning, out of Maupin, out of Grants Pass, A Shady something, but not a grove as the song goes.

For coffee, what else.

A mellow shop just closing, we tested that mellow and it held up. Ended up camped at a dismal county park at the small starting end of Big Lagoon.

The memorable part was walking the path along the edge of dwindling Lagoon to boat launch day use area and surf beyond. Spongy ground oozing water. I almost panicked.

We skirted the Lagoon, onto actual ocean beach, and it was the most violent, crashing, brutal surf I think I have ever witnessed.

Hugging the local road removed from 101 through Trinidad. Always a good idea to ask if it's actually open.

On down to Eureka and fam and and and saved.

All I can do tonight. More later. The beer.
neal.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:32 am

Saved by airkooledchris. Remember the bug that needed saving? airkooledchris saved it when I could not. Location location location. We reunited, over his Jetta TDI that had been towed home on the hook the day before. Shredded timing belt. We helped him push it into the garage just so, said our hellos, and made the run to Arcata and the Redwood Curtain Brewery. I forgot the camera that night, so, alas, the cross I bear, I was forced to return the next day.

I know, I know, an industrial park storefront in nasty rain.

There was kind of an office space up front, with some art on the wall, and then the warehouse, uh, brewery, with a bar. I found it charming.

I had an IPA dry hopped with Galaxy hops that was delicious. Their mainstay IPA wasn't as delicious after the dry hopped, but still very tasty. We left about the time the place started filling up with young coeds on a Thursday evening and tooled back down to Eureka to pick up a couple of slices and visit The Local beer bar, which had no problem with outside food brought in, despite their menu of veggie or meat pies for $5. I passed on the opportunity. The pizza place was closing, so we ended up with four slices for the price of two, one of which fed this beast.

Not a brewery, just a beer bar, featuring the niches of extremes and just darn good.

Eureka chic felt right down home.

We had a Cali blond with the slices, and scoped the selection. Local was well represented. Constantly changing taps, with a cooler of bottled equally as esoteric. I recognized the Monk's Blood tristessa gave me a taste of in Maupin.

I settled in with a Heretic Evil Cousin Double IPA. Yum.

And I could not resist the call of an Imperial with a lethal IBU rating of 1,000. Heavenly indulgence.

Next morning we hit the road back to Amboy with the kids in tow. Oddly enough they weren't interested in any roadside attractions and we essentially drove straight through except for a brief interlude along the shore at Smelt Sands a stone's throw north of Yachats.

And a stop in South Beach because, I'm sorry, hands above better fish and chips. More indulgence. Mmmm, Captain's platter ... . Oh, sorry, no photos, eating was on the brain, or stomach, or something.

From there, home again. Last leg.

Thank you airkooledchris, thank you Bertha Bus, friends, family, all my relations, ...

neal