Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Fuel Hose Question for Colin

Post by Lanval » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:30 am

C,

This was posted over on TS; I wondered about your thoughts on this:

"last time I bought a fuel line kit I didn't use it, the kit did NOT include lined hoses (lined hoses have a teflon liner and are resistant to the new fuel formulations, (ie oxygenated fuels, and fuels with ethenol in it) the lined hose is what is used in new cars it cost more but will not rot out internally like the old style hoses do when the new gasolines are used.

lined hose will have SAE 30R9 printed on the hoses, then you know it is correct, the old standard SAE 30R7 is NOT lined and hence is NOT recommened for use with the new fuels, and is now starting to be marketed specifically NOT for Fuel injected cars (the higher pressure of FI makes the old hose fail even sooner)

last I checked the vanagon suppliers have not uprated their hoses kits to the 30R9 standard.

get the 30R9 hose and you probably will never have to replace them again. I even used the lined hose on my tank evap / vent system, no more fumes, and i expect no more fumes for the next fifty years with this hose.

standards change, fuel formulas are different now, hence you really need to get the right hose.
5/16 inch dia 30R9 hose fits will on the FI system. We used 1/4 inch dia for the gas tank evap vents (use hose clamps)"

I know TenCentLife has argued this strongly as well, so I'm inclined to agree, but was curious to hear your 7 cents (I value your thoughts more highly than usual...)

Mike

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Fuel Hose Question for Colin

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 am

Lanval wrote: I know TenCentLife has argued this strongly as well, so I'm inclined to agree, but was curious to hear your 7 cents (I value your thoughts more highly than usual...)
Mike
I am all for it. The sizes are problematic, 5/16 is a little loose and 1/4 is a bit tight for our 5mm and 7mm applications. Get the good stuff at the Mercedes/BMW dealers. Their metric hoses are up-to-date enough for our requirements. We will not using E85 in our engines, now will we, of course not, so let's not get carried away with NASA rocket fuel resistant hose.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles