are FI specific hoses available ANYWHERE?!?!?!

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

are FI specific hoses available ANYWHERE?!?!?!

Post by VWGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 am

I've looked for years for those molded FI hoses that go to various places on my engine but have yet to find anything but used and marginally better that the ones that I already have. I would LOVE to have some new hoses as I am now missing one :(

I think there are enough of us out there that still run fuel injection that it would be worth it for someone to remake them. There are parts made that are far rarer (I say that, but have you tried to buy a master cylinder for a type 3?).

Anyway, if anyone can please direct me to a source for these hoses, or what I can use in place of these hoses it would be much appreciated. I worked too hard to keep this fuel injection to go to carburated now. And the only thing wrong is the dry cracked hoses are starting to cause vacuum leaks!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: are FI specific hoses available ANYWHERE?!?!?!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 am

I feel your pain. My only hope is Scott at German Supply. Send him a message and see what he might have up his sleeve.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 09, 2011 6:44 am

VWGirl wrote: the dry cracked hoses are starting to cause vacuum leaks!
Do my Itinerant Air-Cooled Hack Repair.

UltraBlack RTV by Permatex. Some electrical tape.

minor end repair
Clean the hose thoroughly with GumOut carb spray. Then wash with soap and water. Allow to dry. Apply UltraBlack to the cracks and spread a bit all the way around the inside surface at the end of the hose. Now wrap the outside of the hose over the damaged area with two or three laps of electrical tape and apply only enough tension to close the cracks. Run a thin bead of UltraBlack on the very edge of the hose. Allow to cure for a day off the engine. Install hose with *grease*. Remove electrical tape.

major repair
As above + gob the outside of the hose to fully cover the splits and cracks, instead of electrical tape, use a hose clamp to close the crack after you have Ultra'd the crack surfaces. You may need to take two days so you can reposition the hose clamp over the prior cured section if the cracks go longer than the width of the clamp. This repair will definitely show as a hack moment.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Mon May 09, 2011 6:58 am

Thanks Colin, but that doesn't help so much now that I am missing one of the hoses :(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 am

VWGirl wrote:Thanks Colin, but that doesn't help so much now that I am missing one of the hoses :(
This Itinerant Air-Cooled Hack Repair Tip is for all the readership.

You are going to have to get creative. Even washing machine water pump hoses might work. Some are nicely formed with curves in them. Even if they are soggy hoses, you can run a spring up in them to keep them from closing up on you under vacuum. Think like a Cuban, we all have to these days. Go to many car dealers, look under the hoods. Let us know if you find a really cool equivalent.
Colin

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 09, 2011 7:46 am

Amskeptic wrote:
VWGirl wrote: the dry cracked hoses are starting to cause vacuum leaks!
Do my Itinerant Air-Cooled Hack Repair.

UltraBlack RTV by Permatex. Some electrical tape.

minor end repair
Clean the hose thoroughly with GumOut carb spray. Then wash with soap and water. Allow to dry. Apply UltraBlack to the cracks and spread a bit all the way around the inside surface at the end of the hose. Now wrap the outside of the hose over the damaged area with two or three laps of electrical tape and apply only enough tension to close the cracks. Run a thin bead of UltraBlack on the very edge of the hose. Allow to cure for a day off the engine. Install hose with *grease*. Remove electrical tape.

major repair
As above + gob the outside of the hose to fully cover the splits and cracks, instead of electrical tape, use a hose clamp to close the crack after you have Ultra'd the crack surfaces. You may need to take two days so you can reposition the hose clamp over the prior cured section if the cracks go longer than the width of the clamp. This repair will definitely show as a hack moment.
Colin

Will this even work for S-Boots?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
VWGirl wrote:Thanks Colin, but that doesn't help so much now that I am missing one of the hoses :(
This Itinerant Air-Cooled Hack Repair Tip is for all the readership.

You are going to have to get creative. Even washing machine water pump hoses might work. Some are nicely formed with curves in them. Even if they are soggy hoses, you can run a spring up in them to keep them from closing up on you under vacuum. Think like a Cuban, we all have to these days. Go to many car dealers, look under the hoods. Let us know if you find a really cool equivalent.
Colin
Thats funny you mention springs.
I was not impressed with the hose supplied by German Supply that replaces the molded hose from the oil breather.
Mine was kinked more than I thought it should. Of course, itwas a straight hose trying to impersonate a molded hose!

So I found a spring that measured long enough to shove into the GS supplied hose and the result now is a hose with a nice bend to it! No kink!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 09, 2011 5:04 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
Will this even work for S-Boots?
Yes, but uglily. I have heard some use tool handle dip, that liquid vinyl stuff that dries to a reasonably flexible coating. It might be able to repair both inside and outside simultaneously.
Colin

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed May 11, 2011 8:11 am

Apparently the hose I was missing is the same size as a beetle breather hose... so fixed for now!

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun May 22, 2011 12:48 pm

VW Girl ~

You can always try Interstate Used Parts. They have a huge log full of old VWs. They won't always have what you want, but sometimes they do. I've gotten more than a few rare parts from those guys.

Here's the link: http://www.interstateusedparts.com/

Also, you can try the junkyards; not sure how they are around your location, but here in SoCal they can be pretty awesome if you're willing to go more than 1 time every 4 months.

Best,

Mike

got_the_bug
I'm New!

Post by got_the_bug » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28 am

The S-boot is still available from some vendors. Seems like I saw them on cip1.com or bughaus.com.
1970 Ghia Convertible
1978 Super Beetle Convertible
1973 Super Beetle (gone)
1970 Beetle (gone)
1970 Beetle Autostick (gone - thank goodness)