79CA dist. vacuum number

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

79CA dist. vacuum number

Post by jackstar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 am

I have found a vacuum canister for a 79 CA Hall's electronic dist that holds vacuum on both sides. Mine presently does not hold a vacuum on the retard side (closest to dist. body). Do I have to pull the canister to find the number on the arm or is there a place I can find the number without pulling it. Also, if I have to pull the canister, is there anything special I should know that is not covered in Bentley's? Thanks.

Jack

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: 79CA dist. vacuum number

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am

it sounds like you have this replacement vacuum canister already separate from it's original distributor - where is the number on it?
are you just trying to compare the part number on it to what you have in the bus already?
1979 California Transporter

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes, I have seen the arm of the replacment vacuum canister and it has the number 2717 on it. Before I pull my non-retard working one out, I wanted to be sure I was trading apples and apples so to speak.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

FWIW if the number is stamped on the side facing up - my federal vacuum unit sitting here is stamped with 581.

if it isn't the same number, you'd try using it anyway wouldn't you?
go for it, what's the worst that could happen?

;p
1979 California Transporter

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Well, shoot. What would be the worst that could happen. Dogs sleeping with cats? Republicans sleeping with Democrats? Proper vacuum on my timing??

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:08 am

jackstar wrote:Well, shoot. What would be the worst that could happen. Dogs sleeping with cats? Republicans sleeping with Democrats? Proper vacuum on my timing??
Those vacuum canister numbers are for calibrations the factory had to do under duress to meet the emission standards. That does not necessarily translate into "better driveability".

I will buy any vacuum canister that has good diaphragms, and adjust them myself if necessary (which is rare). You need retard? Get retard. You need advance? Get advance! Stick the can on your distributor. Adjust to 28* @ 3,400 rpm, no ifs ands or buts. NOW see if your idle timing meets specifications. Now see if your advance hits 38*-40*. Yer done!
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles