Question about fuel lines

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Question about fuel lines

Post by thesamwise4 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 am

Hi all.

I just bought a bus (1969 Campmobile Type 1 engine) and am going through the initial work of relocating the menacing fuel filter and replacing the fuel lines. I've done some reading that suggests that I should be looking for fuel lines that are lined with fluroelastomer. I've heard that these lines stand up better to the additives in gasoline.

Do you agree? Or, to put it another way, in your experiences, what type of fuel lines would you recommend?

Cloth braided? HD smooth rubbber (like on the German Supply site)? Fluroelastomer lined?

Also, if you could recommend a retailer or generally point me in the right direction, it would be a huge help.

Thanks. I apologize if this post in the wrong place.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Question about fuel lines

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 am

thesamwise4 wrote:Hi all.

I just bought a bus (1969 Campmobile Type 1 engine) and am going through the initial work of relocating the menacing fuel filter and replacing the fuel lines. I've done some reading that suggests that I should be looking for fuel lines that are lined with fluroelastomer. I've heard that these lines stand up better to the additives in gasoline.

Do you agree? Or, to put it another way, in your experiences, what type of fuel lines would you recommend?

Cloth braided? HD smooth rubbber (like on the German Supply site)? Fluroelastomer lined?

Also, if you could recommend a retailer or generally point me in the right direction, it would be a huge help.

Thanks. I apologize if this post in the wrong place.
Get bitten at theSamba? You can post where it seems logical and we will answer.

With the increasingly stringent requirements to clean up the air swirling around us, I expect that gasoline formulations are going to be come more ever more aggressive. I would get the most recent hose technology available. Your fuel system uses 5mm hose, if you can only find U.S. spec equivalent like 1/4" or 5/16", keep an eye on how well it handles the stretching. Cinching down a loose fit hose is not recommended. I went to the local BMW dealer for 7mm fuel injection hose, paid up the nose, and have peace of mind.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:37 am

Colin,

Thanks for the answer. I actually tried to copy your move and went to the BMW dealership near me, but they said that they had some vacuum hose (the guy wasn't sure if it was 5mm). I will try again at a few different places tomorrow, when I have a little more time.

Here's what I'm sure are some really obvious questions:

1. In what ways is vacuum hose different from, say, the fuel hose offered on German Supply (specified to fit my engine)? I did do some internet research to try to figure this out, but had no real luck. The answer that I've come up with is that it seems most of the places that sell it online indicate that it is for use with fuel injected engines, meaning that it is a no go for my bus. Is this correct?

2. Has anyone who uses 5mm hose been able to find a retailer of modern, high-quality fuel hose? I saw that the German Supply kit got high ratings, but it said that it is the same line that came with the vehicle, which would suggest that it is far from modern.

3. Finally, I've been trying to track down some 5mm stainless steel clamps and again, have not had luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any help here would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:53 am

thesamwise4 wrote:3. Finally, I've been trying to track down some 5mm stainless steel clamps and again, have not had luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I like P/N 5076K31 at McMaster.com - they have a nice rolled edge that protects the hose.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 am

Personally, I like those Sweedish made ABA stainless clamps and buy them here...

http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/inde ... ath=309_30

I can't remember just what number I order though...
79 VW Bus

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:11 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Personally, I like those Sweedish made ABA stainless clamps and buy them here...
http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/inde ... ath=309_30
I can't remember just what number I order though...
Those are what I received when I ordered through McMaster. It's been a few years, though.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks so much for the answers. I will look into those.