Ford Ranger -> Type III f.i. fuel pump

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Ford Ranger -> Type III f.i. fuel pump

Post by whc03grady » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Can anyone advise me on how to perform this conversion?

Backstory:
Gertie's fuel pump developed a fairly severe leak around the electrical plug and has been sent away to be rebuilt. In the meantime, I learned that a ca. 1985-1991 Ford Ranger fuel pump can work as well.

Since I need to make a couple trips in the next weeks that will cost a few hundred bucks if I use a rental car, I thought I might save some dough and use the Ford Ranger pump until the VW pump comes back (and keep it as a spare thereafter). The troubles are:

(1) I don't know specifically which Ford Ranger fuel pump to use; the people at NAPA ask all sorts of embarrassing questions about single or double barrel carbs and overhead cams and all that.

(2) Even if I had the "correct" Ford pump in hand, I don't imagine hooking it up electrically is as simple a matter as those on, uh, other ACVW forums would have one believe.

(3) Even if I had the "correct" Ford pump in hand, I don't imagine hooking it up to the fuel rail is as simple a matter as those on, uh, other ACVW forums would have one believe. There is talk about "eliminating the plastic Y" that makes me sweat, for instance.

Does anyone have any experience on this subject that can be broken down into idiotspeak?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Ford Ranger -> Type III f.i. fuel pump

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 am

whc03grady wrote:Can anyone advise me on how to perform this conversion?

Backstory:
Gertie's fuel pump developed a fairly severe leak around the electrical plug and has been sent away to be rebuilt. In the meantime, I learned that a ca. 1985-1991 Ford Ranger fuel pump can work as well.

Since I need to make a couple trips in the next weeks that will cost a few hundred bucks if I use a rental car, I thought I might save some dough and use the Ford Ranger pump until the VW pump comes back (and keep it as a spare thereafter). The troubles are:

(1) I don't know specifically which Ford Ranger fuel pump to use; the people at NAPA ask all sorts of embarrassing questions about single or double barrel carbs and overhead cams and all that.

(2) Even if I had the "correct" Ford pump in hand, I don't imagine hooking it up electrically is as simple a matter as those on, uh, other ACVW forums would have one believe.

(3) Even if I had the "correct" Ford pump in hand, I don't imagine hooking it up to the fuel rail is as simple a matter as those on, uh, other ACVW forums would have one believe. There is talk about "eliminating the plastic Y" that makes me sweat, for instance.

Does anyone have any experience on this subject that can be broken down into idiotspeak?
Wiring is straightforward (+) and (-).

The removal of the return/damper Y is more problematic. VW pump has three nipples and the recirculation from the engine is fed back into the supply. You *must* determine if the Ranger pump has a bleed-off at max pressure. It can't be more than 60 psi.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:06 am

I've ditched the whole idea and am just getting the VW pump rebuilt. I don't want to file down connectors etc. and not be able to return a Ford fuel pump I never really wanted in the first place.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

anotherbluebus
Getting Hooked!

Re:

Post by anotherbluebus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm

whc03grady wrote:I've ditched the whole idea and am just getting the VW pump rebuilt. I don't want to file down connectors etc. and not be able to return a Ford fuel pump I never really wanted in the first place.
I'm not an expert by any means, but that "Ford" fuel pump is actually a Bosch pump. It's marked right on it. I know because I did a fuel injection conversion to an old Ford Bronco and used that pump. It's in most late 80's Rangers, any fuel injected Bronco II and others, before Ford went to an in-tank pump. These pumps are very dependable and readily available at just about any wrecking yard. I find them quite inexpensive at $10 each. You can test them easily with a simple 9 volt battery and a couple of jumper wires. I don't know about specifics beyond that. Ford used that pump for 4 cylinder engines on up. It provides plenty for my 5 liter. I'd be happy to post a picture of my spare. It looks a lot like the Bosch VW pump.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks, anotherbluebus.

The rebuilt Type III unit is in and is working well--it died because the overflow hose (or whatever you want to call it) at the filler neck had rotted away and the wheel was flinging dirt and debris directly into the gas tank! The pump was clogged with mud.

My skills (with electricity anyway) aren't such that I can easily adapt things to another use. If the Ranger->Squareback fuel pump switch was a simple matching game, I'd've been more inclined to do it. But apparently there is replumbing and rewiring involved. So I said, "forget it".

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Bluebus,

I'd like to see a pic. Be nice to have a back up from the junkyard for a few bucks.

Mike

anotherbluebus
Getting Hooked!

Post by anotherbluebus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:12 am

Lanval wrote:Bluebus,
I'd like to see a pic. Be nice to have a back up from the junkyard for a few bucks.
Mike
no problem... not sure if you can read the "Bosch - Made in US" stamp or not. I thought I only had one spare, looks like I was greedy. I had 3 to choose from!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:43 am

score on this info.

If this meets spec in flow and pressure I think this is a great option for looking while at the upullit. Them fords are all over the yards. Can you post the part number written on the side of that pump? Looks like a VW stamp on there as well.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

anotherbluebus
Getting Hooked!

Post by anotherbluebus » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Gypsie wrote:score on this info.

If this meets spec in flow and pressure I think this is a great option for looking while at the upullit. Them fords are all over the yards. Can you post the part number written on the side of that pump? Looks like a VW stamp on there as well.
The VW looking mark is actually a symbol that's a capitol "H" with a circle around it.

The Bosch number is 9580810 002. That is different on each pump I have, so that may be production info (?)

The Ford part number is E6EF-9350-AA 6E14