leaking gas out of the vent lines...

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

leaking gas out of the vent lines...

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 am

after a full fillup today, I noticed a big pool of gas over under the drivers side rear air inlet/vent.

it was dripping down onto that 'other' battery tray, which is blank, and then down to the ground. there was a LOT of gas that dripped down this way.

is that just what happens if you overfill the tank?
1979 California Transporter

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:47 am

Up behind the spare tire well there is a small section of vacuum hose that connects the vent system for the fuel tank. If that has never been replaced it surely is rotted or not there at all. The leak is also an indication that you are over filling the tank. You should be very careful if you are topping off the tank after the pump shuts off.

See this link....the red hose marked 24.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHo ... rHoses.jpg
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 pm

thanks for the tip, I thought for sure it was dripping down from further up the line, but I see the hose your referring to now and I def think it's rotten.

im going to try and burn up a bit more gas to be sure I don't get a gasoline shower when I pull that off, but ill swap it out ASAP.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Chris, I replaced mine a few years ago and that little piece pretty much crumbled in my hand.
-'72 Westy-

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

airkooledchris wrote: im going to try and burn up a bit more gas to be sure I don't get a gasoline shower when I pull that off, but ill swap it out ASAP.
Chris, if the #24 rotten red hose is no longer dripping while static in the driveway you won't get a shower changing it - which I would most definitely do before I drove it again! :colors:
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:03 pm

the old line was just completely shredded. all of the gas lines were supposedly replaced before I bought it, but I have had one of the injector to rail lines burst (new hose) and this one was an old rotted out cloth braided line...

this shot I just like because you never see this area... looks like a little rusty dusty and some overspray/run from a repaint along the top....

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:00 am

airkooledchris wrote: . . . . all of the gas lines were supposedly replaced before I bought it
these few words have caused too many bus conflagrations!! Well done Chris!! =D>

If anyone knows someone who has not personally changed their fuel lines recently pls urge them/help them to do so!!
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

JereandJess
Getting Hooked!

Post by JereandJess » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm

I did this too a few years ago on both busses.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... light=fuel

There are a few pics in that thread if anyone is interested.
Jeremy

~Jeremy (and Jessica)
77 Sage Green Westfalia 2.0 FI
78 Blue Landmark camper 2.0 FI
69 Beetle