AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

User avatar
fancy pants
Old School!
Location: Portland
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by fancy pants » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Is there any chance to get the pics from Colin's original message to appear??
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback


We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:47 am

fancy pants wrote:Is there any chance to get the pics from Colin's original message to appear??
Apparently not. The gallery switchover did not seem to work with this new-fangled forum layout. If I find the time (and it ain't right now) to do the adjustment on my spare, I will do some pictures of before and after because I crank these things open more than the new ones to help compensate for wear in valve guides etc.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
Ritter
IAC Addict!
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by Ritter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:33 pm

fancy pants wrote:Is there any chance to get the pics from Colin's original message to appear??
hey fancy,

I'll try to get photos up again. It was my post originally, so my duty to keep it up. give me a bit. or pm me and I can email you pertinant details/photos.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

luftvagon
Old School!
Location: Little Rock, AR
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by luftvagon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm

+1 photos would be nice, please.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:22 pm

fancy pants wrote:Is there any chance to get the pics from Colin's original message to appear??
Hi! Umm, I'll try an "arty" facsimile . . . stay tuned. If anyone asks, "where is the AAR anyways" I may bite their head off. We have, after all, a "L-Jet Top Shot With Key" in the sticky.
Colin

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10584

(Chris, I just deleted your post because all of those excellent pictures are already IN THIS THREAD on page one. I have someone who wants me to show the actual adjustment procedure)
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

603 Gregg
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by 603 Gregg » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Damn it, this post is also not showing any pictures for me! Anyone have a fix for that?

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:44 pm

603 Gregg wrote:Damn it, this post is also not showing any pictures for me! Anyone have a fix for that?
I haven't yet done any "arty pictures" of the AAR opening to show you factory open, closed, and enhanced open after our adjustment procedure.

Got a question?
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
busboytom
I'm New!
Location: Western Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by busboytom » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:40 am

Hi Colin,

Still flummoxed by my cold start situation which has led me here. Did the common stuff again...adjusted valves, set timing and dwell (have found my points narrowing each time I check, though) Did the AAR in the freezer...tightened the nut with Allen wrench holding disc open and it springs right back to the same spot it was. no matter what. hmmmm. Will reinstall and see what happens. Hows that new fuel filter working out?

busboytom @ thechickenranch
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:16 pm

busboytom wrote:Hi Colin,

Still flummoxed by my cold start situation which has led me here. Did the common stuff again...adjusted valves, set timing and dwell (have found my points narrowing each time I check, though) Did the AAR in the freezer...tightened the nut with Allen wrench holding disc open and it springs right back to the same spot it was. no matter what. hmmmm. Will reinstall and see what happens. Hows that new fuel filter working out?

busboytom @ thechickenranch
What lubricant do you use on the point rubbing block? I use CV moly grease.

Your poor filter is in a grueling rotation with two others swallowing rocks all across the country.
Colin
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

User avatar
busboytom
I'm New!
Location: Western Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by busboytom » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:26 am

at the FLAPS they said, "Oh use this......dielectric grease". Will follow your recommendation. Having watched your tutorial at THalls AFM, I discovered my bypass screw was nearly bottomed out. Turned to 4.5 out, timed and at steady 55mph get little blips or burps...so slight you can't feel them but with head hanging out the window they are noticeable. Some rumbling / backpressure upon deceleration coming into town.....but you know I have that "ridiculous" Monza exhaust set up..... still too rich? AFM seal has never been off. I'm reading/riding along so I know about your 'issues'. be well and thanks!

busboytom
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: AAR Check/Adjust update 12-10

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:22 pm

busboytom wrote:at the FLAPS they said, "Oh use this......dielectric grease". Will follow your recommendation. Having watched your tutorial at THalls AFM, I discovered my bypass screw was nearly bottomed out. Turned to 4.5 out, timed and at steady 55mph get little blips or burps...so slight you can't feel them but with head hanging out the window they are noticeable. Some rumbling / backpressure upon deceleration coming into town.....but you know I have that "ridiculous" Monza exhaust set up..... still too rich? AFM seal has never been off. I'm reading/riding along so I know about your 'issues'. be well and thanks!

busboytom
Di-electric grease is NOT for the shear environment of point rubbing blocks! We use the moly good stuff.

Do not adjust the AFM mixture screw to an arbitrary number. Adjust it to where your engine is happy (highest idle provided by the mixture you gave it) then lean it out by a smidge (50 rpm on the tach-dwell meter).
ColinThawingOutInMissoula
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .111,130 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 206,787 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . . 93,996 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,510 miles
Alexus - 1991 Lexus LS400 . . . 72,113 miles

Post Reply