Type4 Crank Trigger?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

webwalker
I'm New!

Type4 Crank Trigger?

Post by webwalker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 am

I've spent the last month lurking and after reading most of the itinerary information and getting excited about LJET, I did have a question about the factory impeller and, if the exposed section is aluminum, whether anyone has ever fitted the edge of it with a target for crank trigger ignition.

I've been reading about this in terms of its benefit to a daily driver, and while its popularity on DD upright VWs is increasing, the T3 and T2b with Type4 engines seem to be left out of the phenomenon.

Does anyone know if there is a seller for Type 4 crankshaft driven ignition triggers?

M

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Type4 Crank Trigger?

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:48 am

webwalker wrote:I've spent the last month lurking and after reading most of the itinerary information and getting excited about LJET, I did have a question about the factory impeller and, if the exposed section is aluminum, whether anyone has ever fitted the edge of it with a target for crank trigger ignition.

I've been reading about this in terms of its benefit to a daily driver, and while its popularity on DD upright VWs is increasing, the T3 and T2b with Type4 engines seem to be left out of the phenomenon.

Does anyone know if there is a seller for Type 4 crankshaft driven ignition triggers?

M
The fan is not a suitable surface for a trigger. The flywheel already has one however, a little steel ball embedded in the flywheel for the TDC sensor that used to supply a signal to the VW Computer Diagnostics.
Colin

webwalker
I'm New!

Post by webwalker » Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 am

I've actually looked in to this some more and there are two good places for the EDIS 36-1 trigger wheel:

Behind the fan and (as Colin suggested) at the flywheel. Apparently some fella in the Netherlands has done machine work on the rear of his flywheel to place 10 degree 'fluting' in the flywheel which is read by the VR stuffed in the original sensor hole.

M

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue May 25, 2010 11:11 pm

webwalker wrote:Apparently some fella in the Netherlands has done machine work on the rear of his flywheel to place 10 degree 'fluting' in the flywheel which is read by the VR stuffed in the original sensor hole.
That's too cool. I actually had that same idea a couple of years ago, but didn't have the wherewithal to carry it out (still don't, regrettably). Do you have a link to this fellow's work?

webwalker
I'm New!

Post by webwalker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Well, now that I'm mostly done showing for the season, I'll see if I can dig it up again.

Colin: A solution that i did see was to put the missing tooth wheel between the fan and the shaft, similar to how the A/C pulley was mounted on the dealer A/C units. Again, I'll try to dig these solutions out.

M

webwalker
I'm New!

Post by webwalker » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Ok, after some digging I found the links again.

Take a look at these:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopi ... 48&start=0
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph ... 486#946486

One way of doing it using the stock sensor position at the front of the case

The other is at the rear, basically taking the place of an A/C pulley

I'd be fascinated if some clever cuss came up with a cogged belt drove both a cogged pulley on the A/C compressor while also being a 36-1 trigger wheel. Done correctly, I'd think it would be possible. And that would just simply rock.

M

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:12 pm

webwalker wrote:Ok, after some digging I found the links again.

Take a look at these:
Looks like you have enough clever options to choose what will work for you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles