CIS Fuel Injection on a Type 4

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:42 pm

dingo wrote:what is the perceived advantage of CIS in your BUs, as opposed to the obvious L-jet ? Im not trying to debate, but just rather curious why the choice of CIS.
CIS is fully adjustable and, if something breaks, the parts are easily obtainable. It's also just a better system of delivery and vaporization. Supposed to more efficient too.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... ht=cis+bus
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:50 pm

I have never been that great a fan of CIS over the L-Jet. It is only simpler in theory. The fuel distributor is a very complicated assembly and if it decides to screw up, you will be paying dearly. It is extremely sensitive to dirt in the fuel side, and the plate is sensitive to alignment. This system requires the fuel prime circuit and has all number of enrichment requirements that always pissed me off on the Rabbits I used to own and the Mercedes I still own. I was noticing that it was suggested to use the CIS-E assembly and was wondering why.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:38 pm

I'm following the instructions of Piledriver & Jake. They seem to be the new pioneers of this conversion. Here's some snippets of my info from Piledriver.
But IMHO you will be WAY better off finding an Audi 4000S or VW Fox donor. (CIS-E)

It's a better meter, and electrically adjustable, optionally it can be converted easily to "CIS-Basic". (needs a std "basic" warm up reg and a block off plate, might be possible to have BOTH)

A NEW CIS-Basic racing metering unit is ~$240 (whole thing) I posted a link awhile back, can find it on my home machine.

Get EVERYTHING, even the computer/wiring if you can.
L-Jet manifolds/plenum/idle air reg, hoses, meter-to-plenum S-tube and anything else you can lay your hands on, it's ALL usable.

As far as the L-Jet plumbing goes, you use EVERYTHING with just different injectors, cold start injector (bolts on plenum) and air meter.
You DON'T need the FPR or injectors, but you DO need the injector holders, so try to get a complete setup.
The only "hard" part is getting the fuel system part right.

Grap the pump/sump/accumulator/skidplate setup assy off the Fox etc and you are 99% there.
I found several sites from people who have made this conversion and they all seem very happy with reliability and performance. Jake said he hasn't toched his setup since 2002 and it still works great!

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 am

I talked to a guy not too long ago that used a rig from a mid 80's Saab 900. I'm intimately familiar with that system, since I had an 84 900s that I drove the crap out of. Also my 84 Rabbit GTIs (yes, I've had 2) had the same system.

Be very VERY careful with the S-tubes. They like to develop hidden cracks...

I prefer the L-Jetronic systems. Simpler for my mind. I've had several cars with various Jetronics and they were all easy to troubleshoot and service.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:33 am

talked to a guy not too long ago that used a rig from a mid 80's Saab 900. I'm intimately familiar with that system, since I had an 84 900s that I drove the crap out of

thats funny, i also had an '84 900(beige)..drove the hell out of it until that crappy 3-spd auto-tranny became a 2-spd, then a 1-spd. I still have a spare AirFlow meter from it, so maybe ill cobble together the rest of the stuff an throw it on a T4. One thing i do prefer about K-jet is the nice fuel-line hardware (by neccessity of higher psi, i guess)
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:21 am

so far, havent seen any Fox or Audi 4000..only 5cyl Audis...will keep looking though
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:40 pm

dingo wrote:so far, havent seen any Fox or Audi 4000..only 5cyl Audis...will keep looking though
Thanks for looking. I'm gonna have to start hitting some scrap yards myself. I've always wanted to. Just never have.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.