78 Fuel injection for 75 (1.7L) Bus?

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 pm

yep, just look under the bus at the fuel outlet (s) to see if its still a FI tank. You'll have to fasten the FI pump somewhere too with viberation stuff as they don't like being hard mounted to the frame.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Why did I think FI was a mid year change? Too much double bock? Or not enough?

I can't imagine that anyone went through the trouble of swapping out tanks, more likely you got a creative PO fix!

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Bleyseng wrote:yep, just look under the bus at the fuel outlet (s) to see if its still a FI tank. You'll have to fasten the FI pump somewhere too with viberation stuff as they don't like being hard mounted to the frame.

I think I still have the original fuel injection specific fuel tank. It looks like they just capped the return line off.

66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 pm

hercdriver wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:yep, just look under the bus at the fuel outlet (s) to see if its still a FI tank. You'll have to fasten the FI pump somewhere too with viberation stuff as they don't like being hard mounted to the frame.

I think I still have the original fuel injection specific fuel tank. It looks like they just capped the return line off.
What is is. I think Mercedes Benz still sells nice little rubber mounts for Bosch pumps. Might be be utilized as "pressure damper supports".
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

AzironaZack
I'm New!

Post by AzironaZack » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:30 am

GermanSupply.com sells the rubber standoffs for the FI fuel pump. You do have to modify them by shortening the stud on one side (otherwise it hits the frame before the standoff is seated on the fuel pump bracket). After the modification they work great! I just put them on my 79 a few weeks ago to replace the crusty/cracked/oily ones that were on there.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... at=&page=3
Finally feels almost like a bus ought to feel!

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Think about how you will be supporting the air cleaner/AFM unit. Usually they cut those out when they go to carbs.
79 VW Bus

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:23 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Think about how you will be supporting the air cleaner/AFM unit. Usually they cut those out when they go to carbs.
I am lucky that they ran out of ambition on the hack job. They left the air cleaner support and much of the wiring was just cut off.

Don't let this picture mislead you, I've already put the engine seal in along with a good cleaning.

66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates