1976 Bus - Test for AFM? ** It's still bucking!!**

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 pm

I had to run a new ground to the DR. I was getting bucking and fuel pump run on after shutoff. A new ground wire and all was good.

Congrats.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Finally solved it
I've taken it on two long one day jaunts ... one was 150 miles, the other over 200. Ran great on both.
Congratulations.
Now which of the four possibilities was the actual cause?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:07 pm

This thread sounds a lot like the trouble I had that ended up being the wiring harness. Chased a lot of ghosts to find the problem was electrical.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Hope you visit us more often Duroc.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:54 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Hope you visit us more often Duroc.
Thanks.

It seems the only time I come by here is when something's wrong. It's nice to just come hang out.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Finally solved it
I've taken it on two long one day jaunts ... one was 150 miles, the other over 200. Ran great on both.
Congratulations.
Now which of the four possibilities was the actual cause?
Colin
I'm leaning towards a vacuum leak as the primary culprit... only because the gas mileage was affected so much (went from 12 mpg to 18 mpg). Either the loose S boot clamp, or the FI seal; possibly the intake gaskets. If mpg hadn't changed materially, would say poor ground on the double relay
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Re: 1976 Bus - Test for AFM? ** It's still bucking!!**

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 12, 2011 4:33 am

It's frickin' back! :angryfire: :angryfire: :cussing: :angryfire: Took it for it's first real long drive (32 mile hwy trip to work) after it's winter hibernation.

Even though Colin and I thought we 'fixed' it two years ago, there were several variables we played with; so we aren't sure what really fixed it. So in reality, I'm back at square one. Good thing he will be here in 4 weeks.

If I can't get this resolved, I'm selling it. I've had this bus for 6 years. My goal has always been pretty modest; get it running reliably enough so I can take it to work on occasion, and take it up North to go camping a couple of times a year. I don't even want to count the hours / money /time i've put into this, and I'm not even close to obtaining this goal.

okay. Rant off.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu May 12, 2011 7:21 am

FWIW, when I last had a bus with a bucking issue, it was the wiper on the AFM itself.

I loosened the screws on the board, nudged it up a bit so it had a clean track, tightened it up and no more bucking.

try not to get too discouraged. not driving the bus on a regular basis may cause some fiddling once you get it back on the road, but give it a little time to work out the kinks and see if it continues.
1979 California Transporter

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 12, 2011 7:46 am

Nope. Not the AFM - It's got a brand new rebuilt. I'm going to get some new FI injector seals see if that fixes it.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu May 12, 2011 8:09 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Nope. Not the AFM - It's got a brand new rebuilt. I'm going to get some new FI injector seals see if that fixes it.
When it's rebuilt they don't replace the traces. Often they don't do anything with that piece. If they do anything at all they bend the arm in a dogleg.

Pop the cover and take a peek.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 12, 2011 9:04 am

^^^^Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and it is in the hamper. :blackeye: . That part is new - it was one of the first things I checked when I got it.

The way it is acting, I would think it is starving for fuel. However, I think I need to turn my attention to possible electrical/mechanical gremlins.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am

you have a brand new rebuilt AFM - do you still have the old one?

if you do, a quick swap would allow you to check two things.

does it do the same thing with the old AFM? - yes, then it's not the AFM itself, guaranteed.

I also like using a spare AFM to test for mixture. if your not sure if the mixture settings have anything to do with the problem, you can mess around with the settings on your spare/old AFM to see if it makes any difference. if it doesn't make any difference, no big deal, just swap back in your new one and your done. no worries about keeping careful track of which way you went lean/rich (though still try to get your spare back to it's original placement if you can, for next time.)

im sure you have been through all of the possible bucking causes already, but it wouldn't hurt to run back through them just in case.
swap out the fuel filter if it's been a while, in case it's getting clogged.
1979 California Transporter

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 12, 2011 1:39 pm

I wish I knew definitively what fixed it before .. because the symptoms are exactly the same. Bottom line is I am going to have to start nearly from scratch from a diagnostic standpoint.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:^^^^Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and it is in the hamper. :blackeye: . That part is new - it was one of the first things I checked when I got it.

The way it is acting, I would think it is starving for fuel. However, I think I need to turn my attention to possible electrical/mechanical gremlins.
Are you sure that your fuel tank is clean? I have a feeling that you might have some corrosion from the tank blocking the fuel filter. It kind of makes sense because your bus sat over the winter, you took it out on a 30 mile run (where it presumably ran fine) and now it's bucking and acting like it's starving for fuel. I would see what happens with a new fuel filter.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 pm

I'll check the fuel filter, but seriously doubt it: my fuel filter was crystal clean last time this happened (maybe 3k ago?), and it has always been clean whenever checked or replaced in the last 6 years and 10k miles.

Im thinking the injectors are not getting the correct signals to fire... or MAYBE ignition related. If you read through the entire series, I did a pretty thorough process of elimination the first time this happened. I just used a qtr of a can of either looking for vac. leaks and found none...

really it is all conjecture until i do real real diagnosis
1976 VW Bus aka tripod