Warpy Carburetor

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri May 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Hiya Bill,

Yep, the sandpaper and glass worked quite well for me.

So, tell me about using the file approach. How do you make sure the base flange is absolutely flat?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri May 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:I use a piece of granite countertop...
I would think that would be just about ideal because of the rigidity.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri May 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Cough while warming up is going lean....i.e. wants more choke/fuel.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Cough while warming up is going lean....i.e. wants more choke/fuel.
That makes sense since these Webers don't have chokes.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat May 30, 2009 6:15 am

dtrumbo wrote:
RSorak 71Westy wrote:Cough while warming up is going lean....i.e. wants more choke/fuel.
That makes sense since these Webers don't have chokes.
Yeah D, you get the "cat sneeze" too right after cold start-up? The big dual carbed engines definitely are a tad grumpy for the first 10 seconds or so. They wake right up though.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat May 30, 2009 6:18 am

spiffy wrote:Yeah D, you get the "cat sneeze" too right after cold start-up? The big dual carbed engines definitely are a tad grumpy for the first 10 seconds or so. They wake right up though.
That's exactly the right word to describe it! O.k. that's normal, I'll move on to finding leaks.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 am

Glad to hear Mike. With mine, the excess pressure (over 10 PSI!) leaked out of the bowl after shutdown and dripped down the manifold and in/out, causing rich (!) startups. 4 PSI (according to a budget gauge) is working just fine.
I too would recommend a file for flanges. You can get a pretty good feel for flatness with practice.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun May 31, 2009 8:27 am

Hiya Bob,
hambone wrote:.I too would recommend a file for flanges. You can get a pretty good feel for flatness with practice.
No kidding! I'd still like to see the technique.

Since I was starting out with a carb that was about .004 out in the middle of the flange, I wanted to go with a process that would be as accurate (read: flat) as was possible. That spelled the glass and sandpaper routine for me.

And since the flange metal (what is that stuff Solex made carbs out of anyway?) was soft the 220 ate it up pretty fast. Came out nice, shiny, smooth, and most importantly, flat.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:22 am

Dual Webers need the heat from the heads to travel up the manifolds before they work right. I'd imagine that Solexes with no chokes or non functioning chokes would be the same. The gas condenses back to large droplets during warm up, giving a lean indication. Once warmed up, the heat from the heads keeps the gas vaporized. A sneeze or hiccup, that is only present for the first few minutes of driving, and goes away after warmup is an indication that your jetting is close. if it runs like a raped ape cold and gets lazy when warm you are to rich. If the sneezing or hiccuping diminishes but never goes completely away you are either to lean, have an unbalanced linkage, slightly unsynched carbs, or maybe a small vacuum leak, possibly throttle shafts.

Edited to add:
When going with dual carbs on an engine that had FI eliminate the phenolic spacers between the intakes and the heads. You will appreciate why on cooler/colder days, they insulate the manifolds from head heat. Did Type 4's ever use the metal intake gaskets? If so those would be the best to use.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 am

File approach.

A mill bastard file is a flat file with a fine cut. You lay the file flat on the surface of the flange and work the file in a diagonal motion in relation to its length. You don't need to have a perfect finish, file marks are fine, just don't gouge it. I tend to cut my own intake gaskets and use the waxy paper stuff that is about 1/16" thick. Port work is why I cut my own.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 31, 2009 6:47 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Edited to add:
When going with dual carbs on an engine that had FI, eliminate the phenolic spacers between the intakes and the heads. You will appreciate why on cooler/colder days, they insulate the manifolds from head heat. Did Type 4's ever use the metal intake gaskets? If so those would be the best to use.
Factory dual carb buses used metal intake manifold gaskets for the cast iron manifolds, but also used phenolic spacers between the manifolds and the carbs.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles