Replacing Fuel FI lines and Vacuum hoses (recs?)

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Replacing Fuel FI lines and Vacuum hoses (recs?)

Post by Velokid1 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:20 am

Well, I'm going to be back in the game soon. Finally motivated to get around to firing Alza Mae back up, so you all won't have to ask yourselves anymore, "Exactly why does Velo hang out here still?"

:geek:

Alza Mae runs beautifully but the last time Colin visited (a year ago? 1/2 day?), we started her up and promptly recognized a major fuel leak and multiple vacuum leaks.

The hoses/lines were all replaced (almost all) about 18 months prior to that and were already dry-rotted. Even samples of the same hoses/lines that have been stored in a 55-degree basement for the same period of time were shown to be cheap sh*t. (Purchased from the local ACVW parts shop, primarily.)

So another year has passed with me blowing off getting her back on the road (promise I won't forget the air filter, Colin!) for financial reasons but now I'm motivated.

So what I'm about to pull the trigger on purchasing- and stop me if you know of a wiser purchase- are two German Supply Kits:

- FI Fuel Hose Kit ($80 or so)
- Vacuum Hose Kit ($60 or so)

Almost all parts are included except for notables like the decel valve T, and the hoses are cut to length (which makes me a little nervous... what if my bus is wonky/jerry-rigged enough that the stock hose lengths are shorter than what I need?).

Sounds easy. Price isn't bad, $200 total shipped.

But stop me if I would be better off buying something else, like ordering BMW lines, etc.

Thanks!

VeloRedux

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 am

Velo,

Scott's kits are great for the clamps and instructions. That said, I'm not super happy with the fuel hose supplied. Like I've said, I think that is more indicative of today's California fuel blend than anything else. My hoses are two years old, light mileage (i.e., few heat/cool cycles) and cracking at the ends. Scott was made aware of this in another thread but I'm unsure as to whether or not the lines have been changed out. Colin recommends the BMW hose and that's what I'll be using when I change them again, likely next year.

As for the vacuum kit, I haven't used the one from Scott but finding all the hoses on my own was a pain in the ass. I'd recommend the kit as the easier way.

Edit: Here's a bit more on the fuel kit: http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... =fuel+line
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Wed May 27, 2009 9:47 am

I've bought and installed their fuel line kit. I don't think you can go wrong with the German Supply stuff. Being in Canada, I've ordered most of my parts from there and although they are not always the cheapest, I believe they sell only the highest quality parts available.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks, guys. Very helpful.

From all I've heard over the years, I trust Scott and that he does all he can to procure the best quality stuff for his customers. Given that, and the fact that I'm still a novice FI guy (had the guidance of Colin when we re-installed FI on my bus a couple years ago) so the instructions included in the kit would be super helpful, I am inclined to buy both kits through German Supply.

I'll keep a close eye on the fuel lines in case I experience the same degradation that you have and will catch it before it causes problems.

I'm interested in hearing Colin chime in about BMW hose, etc.

I am also wondering if Colin remembers whether my FI was '76, '77 or '78 (kits are different). I bought the FI off of VWBusrepairman and he said what it was, but I forget.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed May 27, 2009 11:51 am

What are the numbers on your ECU and AFM unit?

It really does not matter much, if any, if they are in the 76-79 range.
79 VW Bus

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:What are the numbers on your ECU and AFM unit?

It really does not matter much, if any, if they are in the 76-79 range.
I'm not sure, but I'll check when I get a minute.

The way the descriptions of the kits at German Supply read, the difference in the kits is that '76 and '77 both require almost 2x as much fuel line because there are no steel lines (?). There is a surcharge, too, to cover the extra line.

Surely they don't mean fuel rails? Didn't all years of FI have fuel rails?

At any rate, I think that, for the extra $20 the '76 kit costs, it would be worth having the extra line. Too much is better than not enough.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Original thread that led to my FI conversion and then documented it, kind of:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... sc&start=0

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

If it were me I would find the best quality hose made and then buy it bulk length and cut it myself. Just take one bit off at a time, measure, cut and then replace.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed May 27, 2009 1:40 pm

spiffy wrote:If it were me I would find the best quality hose made and then buy it bulk length and cut it myself. Just take one bit off at a time, measure, cut and then replace.
I agree. I used Scott's kit on my '78 and had an issue where a pre-cut piece of hose from the kit didn't fit quite right. Scott was great and quizzed me about exactly which piece and why it didn't fit, but it makes more sense to me to do what Spiffy suggests. Especially so since yours may not be specific to any year. By all means, get the good clamps like Scott sells (whether you get them from him or not).

Spiffy's suggestion is spot-on. Start at the tank, replace each piece one at a time and work all the way around the loop until you get back to the return inlet on the tank. It's time consuming, but really not as much as you might think. I did mine in about three or four hours going really slow and easy.

One more thing. You might have a hard time finding the larger diameter hose that connects the filter to the pump (I believe it's 11mm). You can get this separately from the kit from Scott as well.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed May 27, 2009 4:26 pm

If you do go the bulk hose route, you should get these hose clamps from Scott.

I think I'll replace them all with these next time I do it, the crimp on ones are fine, I'd just rather not have to throw them out.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Call me a hack, but I bought Goodyear fuel injection hose from Autozone. Cheap, and tough as nails. It's holding up great after at least two years with no signs of deterioration. But, the inch size I used (I forget the exact size - I think it was 5/16") is slightly larger than the stock hose. I've had no issues so far. Still a snug fit over the flares and clamps nicely.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed May 27, 2009 6:33 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Call me a hack, but I bought Goodyear fuel injection hose from Autozone. Cheap, and tough as nails. It's holding up great after at least two years with no signs of deterioration. But, the inch size I used (I forget the exact size - I think it was 5/16") is slightly larger than the stock hose. I've had no issues so far. Still a snug fit over the flares and clamps nicely.
(me too)

(and yes....it is the dogs b*lls)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 27, 2009 6:42 pm

That's what I use on my type1, external cloth braided sux.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:52 am

LiveonJG wrote:If you do go the bulk hose route, you should get these hose clamps from Scott.

I think I'll replace them all with these next time I do it, the crimp on ones are fine, I'd just rather not have to throw them out.

-John
The website shows them as being out of stock. If I piece a kit together, I'll search for those elsewhere. I know Ratwell has a bunch of info about [everything on Earth] on his website, including hose clamps.

Thanks guys.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 am

Velokid1 wrote:The website shows them as being out of stock.
Sorry about that Greg, didn't notice. He uses them in his FI hose kits, if you give him a call, he might have some.

-John
Keep it acoustic.