Gas Odor

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon May 04, 2009 10:19 am

dtrumbo wrote: Nothin's easy, is it?

No worries. The van is in the shop getting the nose repaired. I have a bunch of stuff on order from Bus Depot. Just one more x-mas present to open and install when my baby comes home looking all good and stuff. :bom:

Can't wait.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 am

i had a gass smell it was because the drain was pluged and i had a little rust crack that let gass into the body panel ... used compressed air on the drain por15 then epoxy puddy on the crack ... alls well even right after fill up
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 am

Inspired by this very discussion, I just ordered a jen-you-wine German gas cap from Scott at German (what else?) Supply. I'll dutifully report the results.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue May 05, 2009 11:19 am

dtrumbo wrote:Inspired by this very discussion, I just ordered a jen-you-wine German gas cap from Scott at German (what else?) Supply. I'll dutifully report the results.
Ditto

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:25 am

Update:

So as of my second fill up on the bus I no longer smell a strong gas odor. I purchased the silver, locking gas cap from Bus Depot for 30 bucks and it worked like charm. I thought I smelled some gas the other day, but I think it was my mind playing tricks on me.

Cheap, easy fix thanks to you guys.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Another Update: So I think the new gas cap worked. Normally, I don't get any kind of gas fumes now.

However, I was running around this weekend and I had to take a turn on to an incline. It was a left turn going down a hill at a good speed. It was pretty steep, not very long. The road flattens right away. I don't have any heavy duty sway bars to the bus really leans over. So the passenger side was tipping towards the street.

Anyway, the gas fumes returned for about 5 minutes and went away. Are we thinking gas cap again? The car was leaning in that direction.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Manfred wrote:Are we thinking gas cap again?
Nope, I'm thinking one of green hoses in this diagram. From Ratwell:

Unfortunately, they're behind "the gray wall" meaning it's much, much easier to check these when the engine is out. Did you check the red one and the blue ones? They're pretty easy to get to without taking anything out.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:19 pm

dtrumbo wrote:

Unfortunately, they're behind "the gray wall" meaning it's much, much easier to check these when the engine is out. Did you check the red one and the blue ones? They're pretty easy to get to without taking anything out.
No I haven't. I honestly can't tell where the red or blue ones are on the bus from the diagram.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Manfred wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:

No I haven't. I honestly can't tell where the red or blue ones are on the bus from the diagram.
Pop the pie plate black circle off and look in there with a flashlight for any traces of liquid tracking through the accumulated dust down the filler pipe. The elbow/boot at the body can crack and only give symptoms on hard or leany lefts with a full tank.
ColinInTacoma
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Blue ones run along the top of your engine compartment. They are little hoses that connect the metal tubing that make up most of the system.

That red one is up behind the spare wheel well on the drivers side. You can't see it, but if you reach your hand up there you will find it.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:55 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Blue ones run along the top of your engine compartment. They are little hoses that connect the metal tubing that make up most of the system.

That red one is up behind the spare wheel well on the drivers side. You can't see it, but if you reach your hand up there you will find it.
What is number 28 and where is it connecting to?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Manfred wrote: What is number 28 and where is it connecting to?
Recirculates gas fumes into your air intake, so that they get burned up.