simple carb q's

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:19 pm

That little bolt does adjust accel. pump. Can't remember which way is + or - so ..... :geek:

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 pm

Any idea whether it would be more likely to be too much or too little?

Under about 2500rpms, it bogs bad if I goose the throttle too quickly. Then after just a quick hesitation, it accels smoothly, not the huhrunn-huhrunn-huhrunn accel it had w/ the 30/31, or what happens when you pair a 34pict3 with a 009.

Other than that it feels much happier than before.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:07 pm

DjEep wrote:Any idea whether it would be more likely to be too much or too little?

Under about 2500rpms, it bogs bad if I goose the throttle too quickly. Then after just a quick hesitation, it accels smoothly, not the huhrunn-huhrunn-huhrunn accel it had w/ the 30/31, or what happens when you pair a 34pict3 with a 009.

Other than that it feels much happier than before.
Experiment. Also, you can do a quik-n-dirty experiment with the pilot jet that should be on the right side of the carb. It is an 11mm I believe. Brass. Unscrew just 1/16 to under 1/4 of a turn from snug. Test drive. If bog is less, then lean is the reason for your bog. If bog is worse, you're too rich. Remember to retighten.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 pm

:cheers: a slight adjustment of the pump linkage and she finally drives like she's s'posed to! No bog, no chug-a-lug. Just vroom!

Thanks y'all!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:09 am

DjEep wrote::cheers: a slight adjustment of the pump linkage and she finally drives like she's s'posed to! No bog, no chug-a-lug. Just vroom!

Thanks y'all!
Good. Which way on the adjustment did you go? Shorter or longer? Longer rod is leaner.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 am

I moved the bolt towards the back more. Whichever that is. I was thinking lean, since I tried your pilot jet trick and the thing nearly choked on fuel.

Man, it drives sooooo much better with the proper carb! There is actually gas pedal response, especially higher in gear. I can stomp the pedal @ 35 in third and actually feel the acceleration!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 am

I don't know why but following these threads is so exhilarating.

Problem, input, trial/error, feedback, success.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....