pilot cutoff solenoid, dual PDSIT Solex '74

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:13 pm

I don't recall that we soldered anything, but maybe. You had a bunch of parts from satchmo. I don't know the origin of the left solenoid. There was one cutoff that did not work and you said I should replace it. Now I'm trying to figure out which one it was. You were concerned I might suffer from 'run-on' or 'dieseling' after turning off ignition (has not been a problem).

I have spark on all three solenoids. They seem very tightly screwed in.

If you changed the jets, does that mean the replacement cut off will change the balance?

hoses: I don't know, maybe in case of vacuum leaks. I don't have stuff like that around in case it's needed. thought I should get some.

left carb

right carb
71 bus, 74 westy

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Birdibus wrote: I have spark on all three solenoids. They seem very tightly screwed in.

If you changed the jets, does that mean the replacement cut off will change the balance?

hoses: I don't know, maybe in case of vacuum leaks. I don't have stuff like that around in case it's needed. thought I should get some.
Spark doesn't count. You need to hear the solenoid click open/closed when the wire is attached and detached.

I would try to get both pilot jets the same, but the only ones available are the 55s. So you need two functioning 55s, I think.

No need to have any more hose hanging around unless you really want it. Those vacuum hoses rarely fail. They get brittle and cracked on the ends, and in that case, you just trim them back a little.

Good luck. You are getting there. Nice photos. Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:06 pm

Birdibus wrote:I don't recall that we soldered anything, but maybe. There was one cutoff that did not work and you said I should replace it. Now I'm trying to figure out which one it was. I have spark on all three solenoids. They seem very tightly screwed in.

Looks fine in there. Maybe I soldered the wire to the left solenoid so you wouldn't run the risk of having to yank around the spade which was soldered. I sense that a good cleaning will help. Any crap that makes it to the carbs from the tank loves to land in the idle circuits. I have had good luck with unscrewing the solenoids and shooting carb spray in the holes and around the tips of the solenoids. Like satchmo mentioned, sparks at the moment of contact don't mean as much as the click inside the solenoids. The big central cut-off solenoid can be left alone, it is not your issue.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles