Before I do this... What's your opinion? fuel cutoff valves

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Before I do this... What's your opinion? fuel cutoff valves

Post by VWGirl » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 am

So I posted this a week or so ago on TS... but now I have the parts in hand and need some reassurance that I am not crazy (ok, maybe i am, but i'm talking about this subject ok:))

So I am about to drop the engine on my mexi to replace the alternator... and since I have to drop the engine to do so I am going to do a bunch of other things as the engine is 10 years old now... including replacing all of the original fuel lines. I am also dropping the engine in the bus again soon to replace the gas tank (i will have it repaired too as it's a tiny pin hole in one of the tubes, but i now have a spare tank!)... and I will be replacing the 4 year old fuel hose just because the engine will be out and it will be easy to do and prevent an engine pull anytime soon for fuel hose reasons (the hose is actually still in good shape, but how long would you leave it? it's Gates hose from napa).

SO here is my question... well actually i guess I just made it two questions...
1)what is the life expectancy on the rubber fuel line? the 10 year old original factory hose in my mexi is just barely starting to crack in some places... but 10 years seems like an awfully long time for rubber fuel hose... but i am sure quality differs in hose

2) THE BIG QUESTION....

I decided that I hate gasoline and dealing with it... it always burns me pretty bad.... in line fuel cutoff valves are super cheap... why don't people use these on their VW's (or any other car for that matter) to make it easy to remove the engine or fuel filters? I was thinking of putting an inline cutoff valve just before the filter and in the return line on both the beetle and the bus since I was doing all the rubber hose replacement.

The first couple of places I asked for the cutoff valve were autoparts stores... they didn't even understand the concept of what i was looking for. Then i called a tractor supply store and they didnt know why i would want to. Is this a crazy bad idea? I don't see how it would be. It's not a really high pressure system, and the valve would be open unless i close it. It would really only be used to change fuel filters or drop the engine... instead of trying to plug the line with something (like my screwdriver that ends up in many a fuel hose, or whatever happened to my golf tee).

so what are your opinions on the cutoff valves? bad idea or good?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:33 am

I replace my fuel lines every 2-3 years. Cheap insurance. Use klamps too.

I just stick a fat screwdriver in the fuel line. You can't avoid fuel working with engines, little bit won't hurt ya. Fuel cutoff would be OK but I'm too lazy for that.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 am

If gasoline irritates you this much this idea seams like a fine cure.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am

You can wear latex gloves too. They keep ya sparklin clean.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 am

I have a set of these which are super handy (also works for sealing off vacuum lines).....

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... 278&page=2
79 VW Bus

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:33 am

Would adding a valve just add another joint, another place for the line to come loose?

Where would you place it?

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 am

chitwnvw wrote:Would adding a valve just add another joint, another place for the line to come loose?

Where would you place it?
vwgirl wrote:I was thinking of putting an inline cutoff valve just before the filter and in the return line on both the beetle and the bus since I was doing all the rubber hose replacement.
yes it would be another joint that could come loose... but when you have 15 gazillion joints anyways, what is one more?

I have hose clamps that are different than those, but function the same... but i never used them as I would think those would actually damage the hose... if it is brand new hose then i am sure it would be fine... but if it's older than new wouldn't that speed up the cracking process in the area you are pinching it together? I am trying to make this a simple process to cut off fuel and turn it back on without making too big of a mess... the car is going to be apart and i will be cutting fuel lines anyhow... so installation is not going to be a big deal

aside from it being an extra joint that could fail... are there any other downsides you can think of having the cutoff valves in there? i figure there must be a reason i dont know of anyone else that has them

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 am

If you put it under the vehicle right where the tank outlet is, in other words concealed, it might be a handy anti-theft device.

However for maintenance purposes, I just use my needle-nose vice grips with chunks of vacuum hose slipped over the jaws to protect the hose I'm clamping. Just as quick as turning a shut-off valve.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm

dtrumbo wrote: However for maintenance purposes, I just use my needle-nose vice grips with chunks of vacuum hose slipped over the jaws to protect the hose I'm clamping. Just as quick as turning a shut-off valve.
That's what I do. You're still gonna get dooshed with some gas because there is always some in the lines, filter etc... You could shut it off and run a carbed engine dry, if it has a mechanical fuel pump. Don't do that to a FI or a carb with electric pump, real bad for a pump to run dry while trying to pump vacuum.

Overcomplicating things IMO.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.