34 PICT 3 Weirdness

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

34 PICT 3 Weirdness

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm pretty sure the throttle shaft bushings in the 34 PICT 3 carburetor on my '71 Beetle are worn. However, the symptom of worn bushings is supposed to be an idle that cannot be adjusted, and I don't seem to have that problem.

The problem is after I turn the car off, raw gasoline appears on both ends of the throttle shaft where it exits the body of the carb. It really smells bad!

Is this due to worn bushings or some other problem? Where is the gasoline coming from after the engine is shut off?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:29 am

Boiling out of the bowl thru the accelerator pump nozzle. Does it only when warmed up?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 am

vdubyah73 wrote:Does it only when warmed up?
Yes!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:59 pm

Warm it up good and look down the throat rite after shut off. Prolly have to watch for a time to give the gas time to heat up. Look for dribbling in the throat of carb.
This would explain a hard warm restart that could be a flooded engine if trying to start back up after a short stop, or no gas left in carb until fuel pump refills it.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:28 pm

What's the cure for this? Thicker base gasket to insulate the carb body from the heat?
Don

78 Westy

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:43 pm

I would imagine a good rebuild kit would stop accelerator pump leaking. If that's what's going on.

Study kiefernets posts on stock carbs.