Fuel Pressure Question

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Fuel Pressure Question

Post by RZAR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 pm

Ever since I got my bus up and running it has always had what i think is a long cranking before firing up problem. I really havent looked at it too closely other than checking fuel pressure which i think is in spec. My bus does this hot or cold so i dont think it is the CSV. I think my pressure is bleeding off somewhere. Is it true that both the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator is responsible for holding the pressure in the lines? If so there must be some sort of check valve in both. How do i find out which is bad? If not please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 pm

I know you know this, but in case someone else sees this in the future, one cause for having to crank a long time before the engine catches is points that are out of adjustment.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:39 pm

IFBwax wrote:I know you know this, but in case someone else sees this in the future, one cause for having to crank a long time before the engine catches is points that are out of adjustment.
I run pertronix

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 pm

RZAR wrote:
IFBwax wrote:I know you know this, but in case someone else sees this in the future, one cause for having to crank a long time before the engine catches is points that are out of adjustment.
I run pertronix
What are your other specs? Year, fi or carb, etc...

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:05 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
RZAR wrote:
I run pertronix
What are your other specs? Year, fi or carb, etc...
Dang, Im sorry. 1977 bus stock 2L with FI

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:58 am

You can go to your profile and put a description of your bus and engine there, and it will appear in all your posts at the bottom. You can also state your location. That might help in connecting with other local VW owners.

Welcome to the IAC!
71 bus, 74 westy

LeeE
I'm New!

Post by LeeE » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 am

"a long cranking before firing up problem"
I have a 78 2.0 FI, and I had the same problem a little while ago. It drove me crazy trying to find and fix it.
I checked and/or replaced everything in the fuel system and still had the problem; the engine would turn over forever before it would finally catch and start.
I found that a rubber fuel line had collapsed internally. I had previously replaced ALL of the lines, and apparently this section was bad. It was the short line that runs from the pressure regulator to the tank return. The line looked normal from the outside, but when I felt it I could tell that it was soft. The outlet from the regulator and the other steel line were misaligned just enough (sort of like this -~-) to cause the rubber line to bend and pinch shut.
I replaced the line and the engine has started within a turn or two ever since.

Check all your fuel lines carefully. I hope your problem is that simple.

RZAR
Getting Hooked!

Post by RZAR » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:25 am

I know this is long over due but i havent had a chance to work on the bus for a while until this weekend. I think I might have stumbled on the problem. I found that inside CSV connector (harness side) there is a broken terminal. I was able to pull the wire out of the connector. Now i just need to find a replacement. Would this cause long cranking times cold or hot? I went on to Youtube and Ratwell to listen on how the engine is supposed to start up and it seems it should start rather quickly.
77 Bus. Stock 2.0 FI with Computronix ignitor and coil

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:22 am

You can get that terminal from a number of places including Bus Boys.

While you are in there, make sure you are getting 12 volts to the Thermotime switch.

Stick your fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail to remove any doubt about your residual fuel pressure.
79 VW Bus