Not going BACK to f.i., but UPgrading to f.i.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Not going BACK to f.i., but UPgrading to f.i.

Post by whc03grady » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 pm

(If I've asked this before, someone please punch me on the shoulder. I think I asked once on TS but didn't get any real answers, as far as I can remember.)
Of course there's loads to be found about converting 1975-79 buses from f.i. to carbs, and as much about switching back to f.i. once the scales have fallen away from the eyes, but I can't seem to find anything about upgrading 1972-74 buses to fuel injection.
Currently Ludwig (Class of '74) has a Weber progressive (re: Weber depressive), but I have his original Solexes, waiting to be reviewed/rebushed/rebuilt. In the end, I wonder: would it be worth looking into forgetting the carbs and outfitting him with fuel injection? Has anyone done this? Are there any obstacles, serious or otherwise, that one might encounter?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:51 am

If it were me....

I would get the dual solexes rebuilt well and install them. Plan on spending a little time tuning them so they can work like they are supposed to.

Most bang for the buck.
79 VW Bus

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:14 am

Agreed. Get in touch with Keifernet...he does a great job on Solex rebuilds, from all accounts I've heard.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:45 am

I would go with the stock carbs. Fuel injection is good but would need a return line for the gas, or an F.I. tank. You would need a complete wire harness and some minor fabricating to mount the ECU. Then an F.I. fuel pump. It's very doable but the stock carbs work really well when dialed in. :flower:

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:25 am

I forgot about having to rig the return line to the tank. That and the rewiring -which I wouldn't really trust myself enough to do-is enough to scare me off, at least until we win the lottery (and then Ludwig would be getting a Porsche flat-6 put in him).
Back to the Solexes it is.
Thanks guys.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:32 pm

whc03grady wrote:I forgot about having to rig the return line to the tank. That and the rewiring -which I wouldn't really trust myself enough to do-is enough to scare me off, at least until we win the lottery (and then Ludwig would be getting a Porsche flat-6 put in him).
Back to the Solexes it is.
Thanks guys.
It is all in the tuning of the factory dual carbs. I can give you a fuel injection worthy smoothness. . . so long as it is not snowing.
C-C-C-Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles