Solex 32/34 PDSIT rebuild.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yetanother
I'm New!

Solex 32/34 PDSIT rebuild.

Post by yetanother » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:38 am

The general opinion seems to be that only the Walker rebuild kits are worth using.

Anyone have any experience with this kit or any others?

If the Walker really is a lot better, anyone out there near an Oreilly store who could send me a pair? I'll pay any reasonable commision.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:21 pm

I'm surprised nobody replied to this.

I used Walker kits on my 73. Seemed ok, but the paper gaskets as Ratwell describes ( http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/Parts/PhotoAlbum80.html ) were junk.

BlissfullyCrusin
Getting Hooked!

Post by BlissfullyCrusin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:55 am

I've been lurking here for a while, figure this is a good place to post my first message.

I really need a rebuild kit for my carbs as well, but I'm not near any OReily's, and I can't seem to find the walker kit online.

Any help?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Try to find old Royze kits if you can. Nowadays, assume that any kit you find will be crap. Don't worry about it. Keep the paper gaskets intact, use your old needle valves if you can, particularly if they have the spring-loaded ball needle. You really just want flexible rubber for the accelerator pump and vacuum break diaphragms and fresh paper gaskets. The rest of rebuild is mostly devoted to thorough cleaning and proper adjustments.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 pm

Three warnings: First, take some pictures as you disassemble your choke setup. It is easy to put it back together the wrong way. Second, be careful with the little springs in the fast idle assembly. Those are easy to bend out of shape. I had to get a junk card to salvage one of mine. Third, keep your old needle valves. The rebuild kit ones are useless.

On the positive side, rebuilding carbs is a nice cold weather kitchen table job. I really enjoyed doing mine.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles