Air Intake Boot 81 Vanagon

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

orng bus driver
I'm New!

Air Intake Boot 81 Vanagon

Post by orng bus driver » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Seems it is impossible to find an air intake boot for 81 Vanagon, part #071 129 967. Ornj Bus doesnt run well with the cracked one it has now. Anybody know where I should look for hard to find parts? New or used.
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

81 VANAGON 'Ornj Bus' (air cooled)
86 HUNTER 25.5 'Watercolors' (air powered)

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Not sure on a parts source but Durocshark used the rattle can plasti-kote stuff to seal his up and he mentioned that it worked great. It is the stuff that you would use to say, dip the handles of tools in to give em a rubberized grip.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Here's the thread on the spray stuff:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=1251
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

orng bus driver
I'm New!

Post by orng bus driver » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:53 am

Thanks for the tip about the spray plastic. I bought the stuff called Plastic Dip in a spray can at Lowes and sprayed 6 coats inside and out. At one of the ports I had to use contact-cement on a wide split before spraying and one other slit on the back side was about an inch long and you could see daylite thru it. There was no way of cementing it so I just made sure it got extra doses. There were a half dozen or so hairline cracks, but those two were the worst. Now I have a nice shiny air intake boot that gives a real tight fit for the hoses and IT WERKS ! Ornj Bus starts right up, idles and runs. What more could I ask? Thanks. This website is fantastic, or is it wunderbar? ('=D>')
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 am

Awesome! I'm glad that a solution was found!

Now that weather is nice, we need to get our VWs together.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:53 am

orng bus driver wrote: This website is fantastic, or is it wunderbar? ('=D>')
I think it is Vunderbar!
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

orng bus driver
I'm New!

Post by orng bus driver » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:08 pm

I get my Vs and Ws mexid up.

Now the rest of the story, the sad part. Although the plasticized boot seems to be ok, I am still having what seems like fuel delivery problems. The symptoms: ran fine for 20 miles of on and off in town driving one morning, then as the day went on and the short trips continued, the first sign of trouble was it all at once felt like there was a gov'ner on it that wouldnt let it rev past 3000 or so. Then it would be ok for a while. Then gov'erned again. Then ok. Then just as it had me convinced all was well, it sputtered and spit and backfired ':pukeleft:' (all I needed was for the horn to get stuck to really create a funny scene)':joker:' It all but died at the side of the road, much to the amusement of kids on their bikes. It continued to do a slow death scene sputtering and backfiring for about 30 seconds that seemed like 30 minutes, then it roared to life again like Aslan and we were off. Quickly. For home port.

The fuel pump is new but it whines pretty loud. Some have suggested it is probably dirt in the gas tank or fuel line. Any other suggestions, or confirmation of dirt being the problem, or what do do first?
Bob
Orng Bus Driver

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:36 pm

orng bus driver wrote:The fuel pump is new but it whines pretty loud. Some have suggested it is probably dirt in the gas tank or fuel line. Any other suggestions, or confirmation of dirt being the problem, or what do do first?
Clogged fuel filter. High-pitched whine at the fuel pump is a sure sign. Your other symptoms point to it as well.

While we're on the subject:
When was the last time your fuel lines were changed? If the answer is "not since I bought it," change them NOW.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

Post by Robert Berglund » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Old post update.... Airhead Parts has now made a reproduction of this part if anyone is interested. Check out their Web-site for further information.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Robert Berglund wrote:Old post update.... Airhead Parts has now made a reproduction of this part if anyone is interested. Check out their Web-site for further information.
Thanks Robert, have you bought one?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

Post by Robert Berglund » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Robert Berglund wrote:Old post update.... Airhead Parts has now made a reproduction of this part if anyone is interested. Check out their Web-site for further information.
Thanks Robert, have you bought one?
Colin
Its being shipped . Keeping it as a "just in case".Part number 071-129-967

Robert Berglund
Getting Hooked!

Post by Robert Berglund » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Id have to give both thumbs up for Airheads reproduction of the "S" boot.

Made from Viton...very nice fit ...the area around the boot where the plastic/metal inserts fit into are beefier than the original stock item.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Robert Berglund wrote:Id have to give both thumbs up for Airheads reproduction of the "S" boot.

Made from Viton...very nice fit ...the area around the boot where the plastic/metal inserts fit into are beefier than the original stock item.
One of the very rare moments where new technology actually serves . . .
Glad to hear it.
Colin

webwalker
I'm New!

Post by webwalker » Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 am

Does this boot fit the 75-79 FI? They list it only for Vanagon. (And I'm sure the TypeI Sboot won't fit...right?)

M

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 11, 2010 8:50 am

webwalker wrote:Does this boot fit the 75-79 FI? They list it only for Vanagon. (And I'm sure the TypeI Sboot won't fit...right?)

M
No. Vanagon is a smaller profile. Inquire of the vendor Robert mentioned so you can help establish the demand.
Colin