30 Pict 1 Carb Issues **Update**

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

30 Pict 1 Carb Issues **Update**

Post by spiffy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:40 pm

I have had this thing off three times and cleaned it, the bus ran great for about 200 miles and then the float went bad.

Fast forward...new float installed and the bus will start up just fine but after about a minute it will die. I can feather the pedal a little agressively to keep it going but even that does not work. The needle valve is working properly and I tried two different needle valve washers to see if the height was an issue. No dice.

I had it running just fine earlier today and then I turned it off and the above issues popped up. This thing is about to get tossed over the fence.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:06 am

Are you sure it's the carb and not timing, point gap, etc?
If it is the carb, maybe you have some crud in some of the internal drillings. Either that, or maybe fuel starvation from a dirty tank?
It may be time to consider a new carb....but check all the other variables first. Try this: pull the carb drain plug and spray the hell out of the carb with Gumout, that's helped me in the past with old dirty carbs.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi Spiff, I went thru this many times on my 1600 in El and also on one on my long gone '55 bug. Replaced carb ,solved both but not after I took apart and cleaned. I wonder about the moisture you guys have up there being the culprut???? Once had to add the stuff to get rid of condinsation intank when I moved to the mountains???? A clear fuel filter inline, between tank and carb, helped me judge the fuel from tank. Simple solutions on uprights are usually the best. Hambone rules :cheers:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks folks, I pulled the carb again and cleaned it today. fired it up and the previous problem went away. Starts up nice now. :blackeye:

I am still going to get another carb from keifernet and a better distributor soon as well. This little engine wants to go just fine but its hardware is giving it a tough time.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:37 pm

I had exactly the same problem with a new 34-pict-3. Brand new, started, sputtered and died. Turned out it was a massive vacuum leak, a screw on the passenger side only loosely threaded in. Tightened it down, and viola.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:44 pm

The made in mexico brosal has been retired.

Keifernet sent me a rebuilt German 30 pict 1 and it is beautiful!! I put the carb on tonight and the bus fired right up and held a smooooth idle without any pedal feathering (I had to baby it on cold starts with the brosal). A few minor adjustments and the bus runs great, much smoother and responsive. Any of you out there that need carb work done go to Keith, NOW!!!!!!!!! (I promise, it's that good).

:cheers: =D> :drunken:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

keifernet
Getting Hooked!

Post by keifernet » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Thanks for the props...

Some of these old carbs clean up pretty nice... that one has it's weathered age showing under the cleaning but oh the stories it could probably tell!

I am glad to get to re hab some of them and give them a chance to go some more miles and keep someone on the road.

And I do stand behind what I build... unlike buying a new out of the box POS after market carb from some vendors.

A little patience is all that is required

:geek: