Vac port on end casting - 1600 DP

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

OB Bus

Vac port on end casting - 1600 DP

Post by OB Bus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:57 pm

I have had this engine for 3 years but just noticed that I have a vac port on the left hand endcasting. The bus was running roughly and gas mileage had taken a dive, so I took a look. This vac port had been capped with a rubber nipple that rotted out causing a big vac leak. I temp plugged the port with a small screw and duct tape.
Was this port for the brakes on 71 buses? I also heard that the autostick bugs had one.
Anyway, since I don't need it, can I simply JB Weld a small screw into the port and never worry about it again?
Thanks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Vac port on end casting - 1600 DP

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:02 pm

OB Bus wrote:I have had this engine for 3 years but just noticed that I have a vac port on the left hand endcasting. The bus was running roughly and gas mileage had taken a dive, so I took a look. This vac port had been capped with a rubber nipple that rotted out causing a big vac leak. I temp plugged the port with a small screw and duct tape.
Was this port for the brakes on 71 buses? I also heard that the autostick bugs had one.
Anyway, since I don't need it, can I simply JB Weld a small screw into the port and never worry about it again?
Thanks.
Seeing as the manifold could conceivably be put to use in its correct itineration at some point in the future, why not just use a blob of Ultra-Black RTV around that screw? It is bullet-proof and easy to reverse.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:32 pm

I've seen those too, not sure what it's for but could be an autostick thing. The nipple for '71 is much bigger and just below the carb on the intake center section -- no way that weenie little nipple on the endcasting can give enough vacuum for the brake booster.

RTV the screw in, use a piece of hose with a screw, get a cap for it or find a casting without the nipple. Please keep the JB weld away...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

OB Bus

Post by OB Bus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Good points. I had forgotten that the 71 brake booster was below the carb.
RTV it will be in the morning.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:50 am

Wasn't the small nipple on the dual-port manifold used for the throttle positioner?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen