AFM ADJUSTMENT w/o gas analyzer

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Don't you go throwin' more variables in the mix, dang ya!

Sheesh! :geek:

May be a contributer but I don't thinnk so.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:46 pm

You know I did a cursory check on the net and I don't know that we're going back to a pure gas blend ever again. I sure can't find anything that says we return to the fall blend on so and so.

Too bad you're not going to be at the Lab tonight. I know two people who own one of those exhaust gas analyzers who might be there tonight.

:king:
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

markd89
I'm New!

CHT

Post by markd89 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:17 pm

My CHT goes to 450 (!) going up a steep hill on the freeway. I've checked timing, etc. and know that is OK. Cooling system OK, so I know it's mixture. Probably too rich as my MPG is poor.

My question is -- do I risk anything by leaning up a little bit as long as I watch my CHT. i.e. If my CHT does 430 on that hill after I adjust, then I'd know I'm going the right way?

Mark

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Re: CHT

Post by Ritter » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:22 pm

markd89 wrote:My CHT goes to 450 (!) going up a steep hill on the freeway. I've checked timing, etc. and know that is OK. Cooling system OK, so I know it's mixture. Probably too rich as my MPG is poor.

My question is -- do I risk anything by leaning up a little bit as long as I watch my CHT. i.e. If my CHT does 430 on that hill after I adjust, then I'd know I'm going the right way?

Mark
Leaning will make you run hotter.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: CHT

Post by Westy78 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Ritter wrote:
markd89 wrote:My CHT goes to 450 (!) going up a steep hill on the freeway. I've checked timing, etc. and know that is OK. Cooling system OK, so I know it's mixture. Probably too rich as my MPG is poor.

Mark
Leaning will make you run hotter.
Not necessarily. A rich mixture makes for an inefficient burn which equals less power which equals more effort for the engine to keep at a given speed which of course leads to more heat in the heads because the engine is working harder. It's a fine line between running to rich and to lean.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:23 pm

AHA! I think I was on the Rich side of this pendulum. I am now swinging back toward lean/just right according to temp readings.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:50 pm

Settle down people. Y'all thinkin too much.

A lean mixture is the deadly heat generator. A rich mixture that is so rich that the engine chokes to death, is a cool death. A lean mixture is the guy on the chain gang who is busily busting rocks with the best of them when he keels over with a . . . valve sticking out his head. Um, let me go work on my metaphors, I think I lost this one. But lean is deadly. Rich is not.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:49 am

unless its so rich that the mix is washing the oil off the cylinders so that you are running metal to metal. yep, that happens pretty quick if its too rich! :alien:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 am

Amskeptic wrote:A lean mixture is the deadly heat generator. A rich mixture that is so rich that the engine chokes to death, is a cool death... ...lean is deadly. Rich is not.
Just for clarity a few points worth noting

On the trip to montana, fully loaded (bus, not driver) I had pedal to the metal to maintain freeway speeds, and then just barely. full throttle adds the enrichment circuit (ie more fuel). Not overly hot but quite a few 400-475 stretches (inclines and such).

Upon return the tail pipe has had that charcoal black sooty appearance.

Leaning out (at this point 8 clicks to the lean from starting point pre Maupin and post new rings) temps have not increased and I do not need to floor it for freeway speed since leaning out.

I am monitoring the CHT and plan on continuing the lean out until I see temps increase.

Oil change this eve. (not changed since Montana before Maupin)

I have increased mileage from 12 to 15 and am hoping for a few more.

Let me hear if there are concerns with this plan.

Would the CHT miss something that will harm the engine during this experimentation process?

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 am

Have you done a valve adjustment before or since you started clicking to the lean?

Also, have you done the IAC "Wiper-bump" since then? Don't trust the CHT gauge as an absolute measure of temps...click your AFM with caution, my friend.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:47 am

Why not borrow that analyizer from Jasan? No more guesswork.
(things are so much simpler with a single barrel Solex. With a cost of course)
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:38 pm

bretski wrote:Have you done a valve adjustment before or since you started clicking to the lean?

Also, have you done the IAC "Wiper-bump" since then? Don't trust the CHT gauge as an absolute measure of temps...click your AFM with caution, my friend.
Agreed on the AFM adj.

The issue here is that the wiper bump was giving a "too lean indication" and the other indicators (tailpipe emissions, carbon, mileage and temps were indicationg 'too rich'

I will check valve lash tonight when I do the oil, though I would guess that the hydrolic lifters will be fine.

My bump here was to inquire about what conditions might be giving the 'bump test' false readings.

There was discussion recently about the operating conditions being under load and the test not. Ideas???

I also had a flash about head torque as I did not do the 35fp overnight and then back down to 22fp the next day. I will check the nuts I can reach (unless I should leave them alone???). Oh, the variables!

What is the concern about the CHT? I will double check the temps with my IR sensor though I 'feel' things are fine with the cht readings.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Under full throttle, the AFM is completely out of the equation. The wiper gets floored in the WOT position and that's that, you're then relying on the full throttle enrichment circuit in the ECU. Then, all the other variables of your engine's operation come into play on the confounding continuum. Again, don't get too thinky.
ColinOnARock
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:35 pm

Seeing this thread bumped back to life reminded me that I had not checked the AFM at-speed since the camshaft in my engine was changed back to stock from the "Torque Special" and the compression ratio raised from 6.6-1 to around 7.1-1.

When Colin visited last year, prior to the engine work, he moved the wiper 1/2 tooth to the rich, and went seven clicks rich with the big clockspring wheel as well. This was done to a factory-set AFM (since we had to break open the factory glue seal to get the plastic lid off). Now, call me a fool, but after the engine work, I set the cog wheel back to the lean 3 teeth from Colin's setting, figuring since I would be running a stock setup, the AFM could be moved back toward the original factory setting.
The Bus ran well, spark plugs looked good, and mileage was consistently 18-18.5 mpg for a mix of "around town" and short highway drives. Head temps? Unknown.

But, I decided to check it anyway....

With a 4x4 block on the accelerator holding 2600 rpm, I slowly pushed and held the wiper slightly to the lean and heard the engine rpm dropping off. Pushing it slowly to the rich, the engine gained rpm rapidly. I adjusted the cog wheel back to Colin's setting of 7 teeth to the rich. I got pretty much the same result and went another 4 teeth to the rich. Pushing the wiper toward lean did not cause as rapid a drop in rpm, and pushing it toward the rich still increases rpm, but not as rapidly. The "flick" test in either direction did not give a noticeable speed change.

I stopped at that point. Do I really want to continue indexing the cog wheel until the wiper is in the "sweet spot" where the engine loses rpm if pushed in either direction? I'm now 11 teeth to the rich from the original factory setting!

I was able to re-adjust at idle using the bypass screw with no problem.

The Bus seems to have a little smoother power delivery, but just in the 40 miles I've driven since I made the adjustments, it seems like the fuel gauge is dropping more rapidly than previously.

Thoughts?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:54 pm

With all due respect to Colin I am finding that that method of adjusting the mixture on the AFM will put you into very rich running and higher than normal temps. You don't want your cylinders being washed down with unburned fuel. After adjusting my engine with Colin's method I lost power and mileage not to mention other minor issues that mimic ignition problems. I'm back dialed in with the LM1 and seeing much better high RPM power and the same temps. Idle is also much more stable. I know Colin may dispute this but I've seen it in real time over the last 1000 miles, and of course, YMMV.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.