Fuel line question.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Fuel line question.

Post by gmag69 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Ok I'm thinking of buying some Fi fuel line from a local flaps for when I go to stab the motor in the Westy here is my Question. Ratwell says most of the line is 7mm ID. The flaps has 6.3mm or 7.9mm. Could I use either of these? I really don't want to run to the nearest VW shop to get it cause it is an hour away unless I absolutely have to. What say Ye? :king:
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:22 pm

I'll probably get flamed (no pun intended!), but all the lines in my '78 are Goodyear high-pressure FI hose from Autozone. It's not the 50psi fuel/emission hose, but the higher-rated fuel injection hose (I think it's rated to 125psi). I believe the size is 7.9mm Pushes on snug, and clamps up nicely. I've had no problems so far.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I'll probably get flamed (no pun intended!), but all the lines in my '78 are Goodyear high-pressure FI hose from Autozone. It's not the 50psi fuel/emission hose, but the higher-rated fuel injection hose (I think it's rated to 125psi). I believe the size is 7.9mm Pushes on snug, and clamps up nicely. I've had no problems so far.
I'm thinking of getting mine from NAPA and that is what they have is the 7.9mm hose. I see no problem with using that hose Don as long as you check it once or twice a year and change it out when it starts to look brittle.

I was going to buy a kit from GermanSupply but by the time I pay for shipping and everthing I could just get the stuff here. No offense Scott I don't wanna take money away from you but I think it'd be cheaper this way.

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

Post by Jr. Buser » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:34 am

I was going to do the same from O'reilly auto or NAPA. I called my local VW shop that is 45 miles away. They had the 7mm in stock and shipped it the same day for about $5 shipping. I hate paying extra, but $5 is less than I would have paid in gas, plus it's in another state, so no taxes!

I am glad to hear that you all have used the other sizes successfully. Has anyone used SAE 1/4" instead of metric 7mm? I believe that comes to 6.3mm.
Brett
Searching for reason in an unreasonable location.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:40 am

I tried the 1/4". It's too small and won't fit over the flared ends of the connections.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:37 am

I found 7mm FI hose at a FLAPS, it was pricey but right up the street :geek:

I would feel more comfortable trusting a brand like good year over a no name-don't-know-where-it-came-from-brand. I have read that some folks are having issues with the braided stuff for the carbed buses lately.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Post by tractoman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 am

I got Cohline fuel hose at Pelican Parts and it's 7.5mm id and 13.5mm od. It fits nicely and has a working pressure of 145psi and burst pressure rating of 435psi. So far so good. My '75 took almost 5 meters because it doesn't have the hard lines in the engine compartment or to the fuel pump. I got mine the next day with ground shipping.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/sho ... nj_pg3.htm
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Do not screw around with poor fit. Yes, you can stretch the too-small stuff, and yes, you can crank down on the too-large stuff, but you will shorten its useful life and open yourself up to risk. I go to the local BMW dealer, bite the damn bullet and get hose that is good, correctly sized and ready to suffer the indignities of ethanol-laced fuel, and yer good for a half-decade easy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Do not screw around with poor fit. Yes, you can stretch the too-small stuff, and yes, you can crank down on the too-large stuff, but you will shorten its useful life and open yourself up to risk. I go to the local BMW dealer, bite the damn bullet and get hose that is good, correctly sized and ready to suffer the indignities of ethanol-laced fuel, and yer good for a half-decade easy.
Colin
How much did you pay for the hose from the dealer Colin? I'd have no problem buying it from them but I don't wanna mortgage my house to do it.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Oh yeah...don't go cheap on the clamps. Get the the good ones that don't damage the hose.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:57 pm

I used the search to find a suitable thread about changing the fuel hose(s) on FI.

About a week ago I started smelling gas fumes coming through the heater ducting. Turns out that one of the injector hoses developed a pin hole. Don't know if it was due to fatigue or if it was the result of a recent engine pull for a clutch R&R.

I did a quick fix with some 7mm braided fuel line. That hose was the 2.5mm wall type. Not good for FI. So I picked up some German 7mm reinforced FI hose from the local VW parts house along with 20 of the FI SS clamps. The clamps were ABA 13's. Probably a tad small but very useable. Next time I'll use the 14's.

The hose(s) from the tank to the tin were replaced during the clutch R&R.
Today I did the engine compartment hoses. The 7mm was a good fit on the steel factory lines. It appears that the steel lines are a bit larger than 7mm. I didn't mic them but another reputable site has them at 8mm.
Fitting the 7mm hose over the injector bib was a bit taxing on the hose. It's diameter seems larger than the steel lines. I didn't measure them.

The job took me just under 2 hrs. Man, does it feel good to have new rubber in there. This engine was installed back in '01 and no expense was spared. The injectors were new and all fuel hoses were replaced. So I got ~ 8 yrs on them. They were in good shape except for that one but I think I'll lower this required maintenance item to 5-6 yrs with biannual checks or even every time I'm under the rear hatch.

As previously posted, I agree that it pays to get the right product for the job. Second guessing needlessly preoccupies the brain