Fuel Tank Drain Question

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Fuel Tank Drain Question

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:12 am

Having experienced the joy of being soaked in a few litres of 89 Octane during a routine filter change a few years back on my '76 Transporter, I've often thought, "There has to be a better way to do this!"
The old hose broke in my hand less than 1/2" from the hard line, so between fumbling for something to plug the line I had fuel running down my arm to my armpit, back, and shoulders..yay.
Fast forward to today, where I have the fuel tank removed for our '74 Westy for some R&R.
Since I'm in that neighborhood, I'd like to replace the drain tube from the tank with a isolation valve of some sort.
I figure this would make fuel filter and/or fuel line maintenance a bit easier (safer) without having to resort to clamps, golf tees, what have you.
As an added bonus, it could act as a anti-theft measure, (thief gets in & drives off, but doesn't get very far.) :thumbright:
Has anyone come up with something along these lines (lines, fuel lines...ah, ha-ha...yeah) and if so, what did you use?
I'm thinking lo-tech here, no solenoid shut-off isolation, flux capacitor rigs, just a simple flow/no-flow plumbing setup.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy
aka the "Hoover Bit" repro guy

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 pm

I just replaced the fuel line in my bus so I could install and old fashioned glass bowl type fuel filter, as I was tired of the paper ones getting clogged up at the most inopportune times...And have since realized that I too need plumb in a valve to shut off the fuel before I can remove the bowl w/o having a free flowing leak. When I solve this I'll let ya know what I came up with.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Since you have everything out, it should be easy enough to add a petcock valve to the hard line coming from the tank.

Myself, I use these. No more gasoline showers, and they don't damage fuel lines:

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=263
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:36 pm

bretski wrote:Since you have everything out, it should be easy enough to add a petcock valve to the hard line coming from the tank.

Myself, I use these. No more gasoline showers, and they don't damage fuel lines:

http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=263
yep.. I use those too.. they work great. Plus, depending on where you were working you'd still have enough gas already in the lines to get you pretty soaked even with the closed valve... plus there's a lot of gas that gets hung up in the pump too.

Use the clamps and isolate the place you're working on.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:22 pm

That is a good idea. It wouldn't have helped me for the '76 job, as the hose was so rotted it broke off without enough hose to get a clamp on (ie. almost right at the hardline.) This wouldn't have been so bad even, had the tank not been 3/4 full. :cyclopsani:
I may just clean up the existing line & connector & re-install, although I think this is a mod worth considering.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:09 am

Mark wrote:That is a good idea.
Mark, when working with unknown fuel hoses, like I seem to, have yourself a short section of hose with a fuel-clamped-bolt stuck in the end of it and an additional fuel hose clamp on the hose ready to tighten. Rip the old hose off and immediately stick a finger over the end of the tank outlet. Get your bearings, take a breath, position the short hose with your other hand, and do a quick swap. Now you can work with getting everything nice and your last step will be to pull the short piece off and swap on the fresh new hose.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Mark
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 am

Thanks Colin, that's some very sound advice!
I'm no big fan of the cloth-braided hoses for fuel lines, regardless of what was used originally from the factory.
In my case, I had no visual indication as to how deteriorated the hose was, resulting in a near disaster when the line was "gently" twisted.
Just another case to prove how critical it is to inspect often neglected fuel lines, epecially with a vehicle of having an unknown maintenance history.
'64 Sedan
'74 Westy