L-Jet Aux Air Regulator - Adjustable!

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

L-Jet Aux Air Regulator - Adjustable!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm

Maybe I should have known this, but I did not. The Auxilary Air Regulator is adjustable!

I've been looking for more cold idle speed for my engine and its stinking performance cam. It idles really badly when cold. I thought I could modify the AAR and get some more airflow through it at cold idle.

I loosened the 7mm nut with the plan of disassembling it, and I found that the stud it threads onto is adjustable! By sliding the stud back and forth, the size of the orifice in the AAR changes size - rather significantly!

I opened it as wide as it would go, tightened the nut, and hooked the plug back up so I could watch it to make sure it still closed fully, which it did!

Cool! I put it all back together and started the engine. It seems to have given it another 100-150 rpm after a cold start, which is just what I was looking for.

Thought I'd pass it along in case all those Camper Specials might need a little boost at cold idle too...
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Aux Air Regulator - It's Adjustable!

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:16 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Maybe I should have known this, but I did not. The Auxilary Air Regulator is adjustable!

It seems to have given it another 100-150 rpm after a cold start, which is just what I was looking for.

Thought I'd pass it along in case all those Camper Specials might need a little boost at cold idle too...
We are pleased to inform you of your meeting the dissertation requirements for Honorary IAC Master Fuel Injection Mechanic. Congratulations!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Thank you! At long last, an honor worth receiving!!!! :cheers:

Look out, Randy in Maine!!! :cherry:

(I love the "certificate of attendance" sheets I get at training classes and seminars for work. Basically, they mean that I dragged by butt out of bed, made it to class, and was physically present for the required time.)
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Thanks for the info Don, That may be the fix for my low cold idle rpm.
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 pm

I just messed with this the other day and couldn't get it to work because I beleive I was missing a key step.

I was able to loosen the nut because I read on a forum that's all you have to do.. so I loosened the nut about 5 turns.. no difference in start.

So what you're saying is to then push the stud to the right into the body of the Regulator, then re tighten nut??? Please go over that part again.

BE PAINFULLY OBVIOUS.

Wayne

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Aux Air Regulator - It's Adjustable!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:28 am

vwlover77 wrote:By sliding the stud back and forth, the size of the orifice in the AAR changes size - rather significantly!
Wayne: Loosen the nut, hold the AAR up to a light so you can see light coming through the opening inside it, and push the stud to the left and then to the right. You should see the size of the opening change as you do this. I can't remember which way makes it larger, but that's what you want. (Do this with the AAR at room temperature so it's open.)

If you don't want to remove the AAR, start the completely cold engine and quickly push the stud both directons to figure out which direction raises the idle speed, then set it where you want it.

Does that help?
Don

78 Westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 am

Even with mine pushed all the way to the "bigger" side, it still closes when it's warm. Apparently, it's designed to close fully no matter where it's set.
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:04 pm

spiffy wrote:I was thinking about this last night.

How do you test to make sure it closes?

I too need a buck to a buck fitty on first starts.
Hot engine. Pull inlet hose off and plug hose right away. If engine stays running, put your finger over the AAR inlet nipple. You should feel no to very low vacuum. If engine stalls right out, it is still open. And, that is why your idle has been uncontrollably fast.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles