Fuel line change out

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Fuel line change out

Post by Ritter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:33 am

Otay. So I need to replace fuel lines on a 78 fi bus. On the below image, how does one get to the lines labeled "B" where the metal lines are connected to the fuel tank? In your brief essay response, assume that the mechanic (me) is too chicken-shit to drop the engine/trans unit. Can the firewall be pulled toward the rear enough to access them assuming the AFM/air filter are removed? Please discuss. Thanks all!

1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:45 am

Brief non-essay response:

The fuel lines you are referring to are on the underside of the car. No need to remove the firewall unless you are planning to replace the vent lines as well.

If you also want to replace the vent lines on the tank, you can do it with the engine in. Remove the heater blower, air cleaner, and AFM to give yourself enough room to remove the firewall.

Piece of cake to replace the lines you asked about! You don't even need to jack the car up (unless you want the extra room).
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:01 am

bretski wrote:No need to remove the firewall unless you are planning to replace the vent lines as well.
:scratch: uh... you don't say... :oops:
All this mechanical knowledge I'm acquiring is giving me just enough rope to ::hangman:: myself.

Thanks for your brevity (and help)!
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI