f.i. connectors

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dingo
IAC Addict!

f.i. connectors

Post by dingo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:44 am

unless im missing something, i find the f.i. female connectors a pain in the ass to release(especially on injectors)...so i replaced with connectors from 90s Volvo which have easy disconnect and have the same interface.

It woul;d be nice to have the easy disconnect Bosch fuel connectors too...but that might be more work than its worth
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: f.i. connectors

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:17 pm

dingo wrote:unless im missing something, i find the f.i. female connectors a pain in the ass to release(especially on injectors)...so i replaced with connectors from 90s Volvo which have easy disconnect and have the same interface.

It woul;d be nice to have the easy disconnect Bosch fuel connectors too...but that might be more work than its worth
If you release the little metal pins or sockets at the ends of the wires in the plastic connector bodies, can you just snap them into the Volvo ones?
I think there are are almost generic release springs that you can subsitute in place of the simple 3/4 rectangular ones that came with the bus. These have a nice v-shaped push-to-release shape. No more wild pulling and cracking brittle plastic.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:44 am

This guy (Kyle) makes (or uses) "easy on/off" FI connectors. I just saw one of his newest Thursday night. Go here:

http://www.kyleautomotivespecialties.com/products

His stuff is not cheap, but it is extremly high quality. You can link to some pics of his stuff here:

viewtopic.php?t=2303
1957 Oval (36HP 6 volt)
1959 SO-23 Westfalia (36HP 6 volt)
1978 Kombi (6 volts too many!)