SLIGHT smell of gas...

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

SLIGHT smell of gas...

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Thu May 03, 2007 4:23 pm

When I run the bus for a bit and then shut it off, after a few minutes I can smell a slight hint of gas. (I have to stick my nose in those rear vents and sniff) I assume it has something to do with the fuel evaporating off - the vapour lines or maybe the charcoal cannister? I'm not currently driving the bus - but wanted to know is the smell of ANY gas was normal. Someone told me it was OK if it was as faint as I described, but I thought I'd ask you all...

It's a stock 77 FI Westy.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu May 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Check the vapor line under the spare wheel in the engine compartment. You never notice that one till it goes south, but when it does, you can't miss it. Charcoal cannister might also be the culprit. Read this.
If it's really faint, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Thu May 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks John! Kinda what I figured, but wanted to run it by the 'pros' here! :bounce: I'll look into replacing the charcoal. Probably has never been replaced, knowing the PO.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu May 03, 2007 5:08 pm

77_Bus_Girl wrote: wanted to run it by the 'pros' here! :bounce:
Maybe some of them will show up. :drunken:

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 07, 2007 2:31 pm

Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z . . . "huh? whu? oh, do we have a customer?"
Colin
(fuel aroma from the vents can be specific. Left side is the vapor tubing like the little hose hidden up near the spare tire well, right side is often the canister on the later buses, most usually the little elbows. Check to see if the EEC valve diaphragm in the air filter is leaking. If it is, aroma and NO VACUUM ADVANCE can be the result :cyclopsani: )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon May 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Well, if the EEC is the round part on the side of the air filter, perhaps that is my problem. There's nothing attached to it (I saw in a pic that there should be a tube attached to the nubbin on the side.) Yes, I know it's not really called a nubbin... :blackeye:

Now, could that have anything to do with the fact that the PO removed the... oh, what's it called... the EGR? (edit :I don't think that's right... some bit that hangs off the muffler...edit again: I don't know what I'm talking about. All I know is some piece was removed and I was told that's why there's empty dangling hoses in there I think it had something to do with emissions) sheesh...or is that another issue altogether?
Love your bus.

77 Westy

jberger
Getting Hooked!

Post by jberger » Tue May 08, 2007 7:50 am

You may also check your fuel filler retaining plate. That is the little nubbin underneath the fuel cap. Frequently I have seen the small sheet metal screws get loose which allows the vapors to escape from behind the gas cap. It will smell in that entire area and even if you run the heat as the cooling fan sucks the fumes from the RH vent and blows them into the passenger compartment. If you cannot tighten the screws go to the next larger size.