Edelbrock Air / Fuel Ratio Meter installation.

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Edelbrock Air / Fuel Ratio Meter installation.

Post by Sluggo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Just got an Edelbrock Air/Fuel Ratio meter to help figure out my jetting. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku Didn't get it from them. Wholesale Baby! The installation instructions say to mount it at the exhaust manifold flange. But I want it to read all four cylinders so that isn't an option. Could I mount it at the back of the tailpipe where it connects to the muffler?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:47 pm

If you mean after the muffler, I'd be concerned that the oxygen sensor would not get hot enough to work properly. Does it have a built in heater?

The other concern as you get further downstream the exhaust is any leaky exhaust connections you may have which could throw off the readings.

My understanding is that the wiring harness will not be long enough to run the length of the Bus to mount it in the dash, or are you just going to use it as a portable testing tool?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:05 pm

vwlover77 wrote:If you mean after the muffler, I'd be concerned that the oxygen sensor would not get hot enough to work properly. Does it have a built in heater?
I don't know. It doesn't say so I would assume not. But it may because there is also a ground wire coming from the sender as well as the gauge.
The other concern as you get further downstream the exhaust is any leaky exhaust connections you may have which could throw off the readings.
Where should I mount it to get a reading off of all four barrels then?
My understanding is that the wiring harness will not be long enough to run the length of the Bus to mount it in the dash, or are you just going to use it as a portable testing tool?
I can extend the wires.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:12 pm

Sluggo wrote:Where should I mount it to get a reading off of all four barrels then?
You have to mount it after the muffler. Remember that these rear engines have ridiculously short exhaust runs and hot air-cooled engine exhaust. As far as temperatures at the exit of the muffler, I'd say you are equivalent to any front-engined exhaust system in front of their catalytic converter/first stage muffler.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Sluggo wrote:Where should I mount it to get a reading off of all four barrels then?
You have to mount it after the muffler. Remember that these rear engines have ridiculously short exhaust runs and hot air-cooled engine exhaust. As far as temperatures at the exit of the muffler, I'd say you are equivalent to any front-engined exhaust system in front of their catalytic converter/first stage muffler.
Thanks! From the info I'm getting through Google, I believe this is heated. "3-wire thick-film heated EGO sensor"

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.