All Carb VWs Simple Fix

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

All Carb VWs Simple Fix

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:02 am

Only if you notice that the throttle return spring is eating away at the throttle lever. This usually gets noticeable around 300,000 miles.

Here, my spring is getting dangerously close to cutting through the throttle lever.

So I drilled the hole with a bit that is just less than the diameter of a spade 16 ga connector

I drilled the throttle levers with a bit that was slightly smaller than my new "bushings", heavily modified 16 ga spade terminals that were ground down on the bench grinder. They already have a nice "waist" to stay inside the newly-sized holes on the throttle levers. I did need to bevel the ends to get them to start into the holes without too much of a fight.

We'll see how long these "bushings" hold together. They are allowed to rotate inside the throttle lever hole and the spring can rotate inside the "bushing" so wear is reduced. It is nice to not have the spring sticking in the hole and giving that occasional embarrassing fast idle at the stoplight.

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Nice fix Colin! Hey, wait a minute...is that a hack fix?! All kidding around, Colin...Brother...I am positive that somewhere in my boxes of used spares that I have a throttle return spring and throttle lever. If you are still experiencing wear in the future, let me know, and I will send them to ya! Is the return spring new? Maybe it is made from a harder metal that the oe vw spring.
Best Regards,
John

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:30 pm

soulful66 wrote:Nice fix Colin! Hey, wait a minute...is that a hack fix?! Is the return spring new? Maybe it is made from a harder metal that the oe vw spring.
Hack Fix?? :pale: It is a section off a screen door spring. Hmmph. Had to use it. The oe spring cut itself in half and escaped one day. Hardware store was across the street when I came to the light with a racing idle.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles