Thinking of a Hippy-Fix to Fuel Tank Debris

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Thinking of a Hippy-Fix to Fuel Tank Debris

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

I know I've got some debris floating around in my gas tank, because it occasionally restricts the outlet to the fuel pump. (The pump gets noisy, engine won't start, and fuel volume goes way down. Blow compressed air back up the fuel line and it "fixes" it.) But, the junk is apparently too big to flow down the line and clog the filter because there is nothing inside the filter. (I cut it open to look.)

I know the right answer is to pull the tank and clean it out, but I'm wondering if a hippy-fix might delay that for a while.

I was thinking of buying a kitchen colander with stainless steel screen and cutting a piece that I can fashion into a tall, narrow cone shape. I would then route this cone into the outlet pipe on the fuel tank tip-first so that an inch or so of the cone extends up inside the fuel tank. The screen would serve to prevent the junk from blocking the outlet to the pump.

The trick will be getting the screen to insert properly into the tank given the bend in the outlet pipe.

I figured I'd invest an hour in trying this and if I can't get it to work, I'll cut my losses and pull the tank.....

Thoughts???
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 am

interesting idea but i think successful implementation will be much more difficult than you think.....The curve in the outlet tube I see as being a big problem as the cone will have to collapse to get around around it.....then how will you be sure it expands again or that it's in the right spot?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 am

What about driving that junk up and out of the tank?

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:33 am

steve74baywin wrote:What about driving that junk up and out of the tank?
Not sure how. It doesn't float, whatever it is. And there's that "windage tray" in that tank that prevents getting a siphon hose right to the trouble spot.

Suggestions?
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:41 am

vwlover77 wrote:
steve74baywin wrote:What about driving that junk up and out of the tank?
Not sure how. It doesn't float, whatever it is. And there's that "windage tray" in that tank that prevents getting a siphon hose right to the trouble spot.

Suggestions?
I'm not sure,,,but what about draining the tank and sucking it out with a vacuum or something.
"disclaimer, I'm not responsible for any explosions"

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am

There was originally a brass sock screen that inserted into the tank vial the outlet. You can get it at airhead parts and a few other places. This is what it's made for. That being said, I'd pull the tank and clean it out.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:21 pm

I was not aware these were made. Will this fit up through the fuel outlet pipe on my FI Bus gas tank? It says carb models through 1974.

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail. ... oduct=1167
Don

78 Westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Well, the hippie-fix is done. I bought one of those brass screen socks (see previous post), but it was too large in diameter to fit in the outlet pipe.

In the end, I cut the screen and rolled it in a slight spiral so that as I turned it clockwise it tightened against itself.

It fed into the pipe and around the bend quite nicely when I gently twisted it while pushing it in.

We'll see what happens!

The tank never stopped dribbling gas from the outlet pipe during this whole procedure, even though I ran the tank dry with the fuel pump. My hands are going to smell like gas for the next week!
Don

78 Westy

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:38 pm

The proper way is to remove the entire tank outlet by removing the retaining nut and putting the sock into the tank. After removing the outlet, place the washer that should have come out with the nut over the sock. Then insert the sock in the tank. The washer at the end of the sock holds it in place. Reassemble the outlet & nut.

I'm not sure if it's the same for FI but I know you just placed an obstruction in your fuel line. Probably made it worse.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Fuel injection tanks didn't have the filter sock.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Right - no sock, and the fuel outlet pipe is welded/brazed to the tank. No easy way to remove it without blowing something up!

I ran the fuel pump volume test after putting in the sock. FI manual says 500cc in 30 seconds, I got a full liter after 30 seconds.
Don

78 Westy

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:02 pm

I would be dropping the tank before I ended up replacing a a $160 fuel pump.
79 VW Bus

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:37 am

I've had the engine out twice since last May and I'm just not up for doing it again at the moment....

The junk in the tank has always stayed in the tank - apparently it's too big to make it through the outlet pipe and down the line to the filter.

My pump is happy to deliver double the specified volume of fuel with the hippie-fix sock in place, so I'm going to try it for a while and see what happens.
Don

78 Westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Well, it didn't take long for it to stop working. I drove the Bus briefly last night just around the neighborhood and the fuel pump was howling mad when I got home. Apparently, the screen is causing restriction, or has clogged with whatever is in the tank.

I have resigned myself to pulling the engine again to get the tank out.

Oh well, it was worth a try.
Don

78 Westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:00 am

If you have the Type 4 engine, you don't have to pull it to get the tank out. I just loosened the rear engine support brackets and lowered the engine down so there was clearance to remove the tank. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be!

See this thread... viewtopic.php?t=1722
Don

78 Westy