'84 Vanagon Throttle Return Spring

Carbs & F.I.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

'84 Vanagon Throttle Return Spring

Post by sped372 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Why are there two 'arms' with eyes near the throttle body? Which one is the return spring supposed to connect to? Mine was on the 'upper' one but the spring pressure felt too strong, I've seen photos with it connected to either of them, and a quick skim of Bentley doesn't clear it up for me.

The top position seems to act "directly" against the accelerator pedal, while the bottom location moves the 'other side' of the torsion spring near the throttle body, so a less-direct return spring effect.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: '84 Vanagon Throttle Return Spring

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 am

Got an answer on theSamba, reposting here for posterity.
whip618 on theSamba wrote:You have your throttle return spring in the correct hole, the upper hole should have a plastic grommet pressed into it along with an adjustable linkage that connects to the EGR valve.

Phil
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '84 Vanagon Throttle Return Spring

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:12 am

sped372 wrote:Got an answer on theSamba, reposting here for posterity.
whip618 on theSamba wrote:You have your throttle return spring in the correct hole, the upper hole should have a plastic grommet pressed into it along with an adjustable linkage that connects to the EGR valve.

Phil
Well you are too quick. Say, sped372, the upper one is the EGR rod hole.
Hit the torsion spring with automatic transmission fluid and work it down the inside. Then wipe clean.

The Law demanded redundant throttle return springs I think around 1974 in the US and before that in Europe when dealing with multiple carburetor set-ups..
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles